A few days ago a JPA member got in touch with me saying that their recent visiting guests were kayaking here at Joe's Pond and were approached by a Vermont State Police officer. The officer rather sternly reprimanded them for not having an air horn with them. They were under the impression this is a new law.
I had not heard about this, so I contacted the State Police at the St. Johnsbury barracks. I was told that while it IS a law in some larger lakes where federal law applies, at Joe's Pond it is not. That said, the officer I spoke with told me they strongly suggest that some kind of noise-producing device is available to anyone using any sort of watercraft, and it should be attached to one's life vest. This can be a whistle or some other device. That way, if the vessel capsizes, you will have a way to attract help if needed. Other situations where the whistle would be used is to warn approaching crafts that may not see the canoe or kayak. You can read the existing laws HERE. Another item you should carry with you, especially when you are kayaking or canoeing, is a light. Even though you may plan to be back before dark, you might be delayed and would need the light for your safety.
I was interested that the officer also told me that ANY object that is used to transport a person - whether a paddle board, an innertube or some other method of transport - is considered a "vessel" under the Vermont law. Keep that in mind as you read through the above statutes.
Wednesday, July 18, 2018
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
It's Autumn in the Kingdom!
First of all, I goofed last week and somehow a message from Barry Cahoon with an update on our milfoil successes this summer failed to get p...
-
This has been a chilly, rather dull day. Having to set the clocks back last night made everything a bit topsy-turvey today, I suppose, but ...
-
Winter is still here, and so is the Ice-Out Contest block! No sign of it sinking yet! As I write this, we are having another snow squall - ...
-
The past couple of weeks have been pretty busy and today I took a little time to go through some of my files to see what needs to be put aw...
No comments:
Post a Comment