Wednesday, July 18, 2018

A few days ago a JPA member got in touch with me saying that their recent visiting guests were kayaking here at Joe's Pond and were approached by a Vermont State Police officer. The officer rather sternly reprimanded them for not having an air horn with them. They were under the impression this is a new law.

I had not heard about this, so I contacted the State Police at the St. Johnsbury barracks. I was told that while it IS a law in some larger lakes where federal law applies, at Joe's Pond it is not. That said, the officer I spoke with told me they strongly suggest that some kind of noise-producing device is available to anyone using any sort of watercraft, and it should be attached to one's life vest. This can be a whistle or some other device. That way, if the vessel capsizes, you will have a way to attract help if needed. Other situations where the whistle would be used is to warn approaching crafts that may not see the canoe or kayak. You can read the existing laws HERE. Another item you should carry with you, especially when you are kayaking or canoeing, is a light. Even though you may plan to be back before dark, you might be delayed and would need the light for your safety.

I was interested that the officer also told me that ANY object that is used to transport a person - whether a paddle board, an innertube or some other method of transport - is considered a "vessel" under the Vermont law. Keep that in mind as you read through the above statutes.

No comments:

Spring Weather/Good News

 Thank goodness we have a rainy day today! Yesterday was so nice I was outside probably more than my winter-weary body needed, so today I...