Friday, June 01, 2018

Sometimes when I sit down to write on this page, I have a hard time thinking of anything worthwhile or interesting. Tonight I can report I had a very pleasant surprise when I opened up my email this afternoon. Fred and I had taken a jaunt to Littleton (this is the year we will be trading cars, and that means road testing a few well before the appointed time), so we were at Littleton Chevrolet. But before that, we had lunch at "99" - and no, I didn't have a lobster roll today. Lobster is a favorite, but I wasn't in the mood for it today, so I had a really good Apple BBQ Chicken Club sandwich. It was very good - lots of bacon!! 
     When we got home, there were no phone calls, and I went directly to my computer to check emails. There was a very nice note from a gentleman who lives in Michigan, but who grew up in this area and still visits from time to time. He had somehow discovered the website and blog, and wrote to tell me it meant a lot to him to have a connection to this area. Really very nice of him. It's always special when someone tells me they have read and enjoyed something on the blog.
     I've been editing a chapter in the West Danville history book for the last couple of days. I had a chapter pretty much finished (eleven pages) but when I read it over, I realized I'd already covered some of the information in other chapters - and there was some that I decided simply didn't fit in this chapter about the boom years, so I cut it out and now I think I'm down to nine pages. I have a little more to do on it this weekend and then will get it to our committee before our meeting on Monday. We have to move along if we are going to publish this fall, but I'm having problems keeping names straight and also finding I have questions I have to research and explain better. It always seems that things crop up - like the cedar oil stuff - that I want to be sure is correct information. 
     By the way, I've been in touch with a man originally from Hardwick who now lives in Alaska whose family was in the cedar oil business for three generations. He also gave me a couple of names to contact here - which I will do soon. We are conversing by phone, but our last conversation was cut short because the phone service in the Alaskan bush is sketchy.
     And so it goes.
     The air tonight is cooler - sweet after a little rain. It was very muggy most of the day, and well into the 80s as we were traveling through St. Johnsbury.  It was hot enough so almost all the dandelions on our lawn (and there were a lot!) went from yellow to white fuzz, just during today! I was surprised when I noticed as I was preparing supper tonight. I suppose the rain will knock off all the little fluffy seeds and each one will develop into another dandelion for next year. I wish I liked eating them better - but as it is, I don't harvest them at all. My mom used to like dandelions, and I would dig some for her sometimes in the spring, and she cooked them to perfection - but I have never been able to get them to taste anything but bitter.  I think she may have cooked them with salt pork, and changed the water several times. I'll stick with spinach.
     I heard a little thunder this evening, but only one rumble. We also had some fireworks in the neighborhood. A little early, but apparently someone had something to celebrate. 
     Someone contacted me today wondering if there are any hookups for a fifth wheeler. I'm not really familiar with what that means, but this person said they want to find a place to rent and park their rig near the pond for the summer, and prefer not to be in a regular trailer park. If you have a setup like that or know of one, please let me know.
     That's it for tonight. I hope everyone has been able to enjoy this nice weather - we're in for a little more rain tonight, I think, but the weekend is going to be pretty nice. Enjoy while you can - summer is short!

No comments:

News on Local Property Taxes - and More!

It's that time of year when everything is coming to life again - the flowers are blooming and the trees are budding. Today is a lovely,...