Tuesday, May 15, 2018

We have just had a lovely warm and gentle rain this morning. It is still overcast, but there is kind of a pale green tint to everything with green grass underfoot and various shades of green on all the trees and shrubs. It's just the prettiest time of the year, I think. There are flowers beginning to bloom - even the dandelions are welcome! - and swamp marigolds ("cowslips" to us native Vermonters) in the marshes glowing golden among bright green leaves. The pansies I planted last year are up and doing fine, lots of pretty blossoms already. The apple trees are almost ready to burst forth, and leaves on the maples are exploding with soft yellow-green. Every day there's visible progress towards summer.
     Those of us who live on West Shore Road are happy that both Cabot and Danville have worked the road so the ride is no longer a painful exercise in dodging potholes and enduring washboard. A few folks have been out mowing their lawns - we haven't yet, but Fred put the battery in the mower this weekend and started it up. It will be my job to mow for a few weeks, at least, until Fred is fully recovered from his last operation. He's coming along very well, by the way, and should be quite fit in another four weeks or so. I imagine the grass will need mowing after this nice rain.
     We went to our younger granddaughter's dance recital last Saturday afternoon. I took pictures, but my computer is still in the shop being repaired, so I haven't taken the pictures off my camera. I'm sure I could load them onto my laptop, but then would have to update the file on the desktop, and it's just not worth the time and effort. I should have my desktop back in another day or so. Then, if any of the pictures turned out well, I'll post some.
     We stopped at Hastings Store and picked up some of Garey's pastries this morning. We had a mid-morning snack of blueberry-banana bread with a cup of coffee when we got home, and that was soooo good. Nice combination! I also picked up some of Garey's lemon bundt cake, which I like very much. He's such a good baker. We are fortunate to have him putting out all these goodies every day. I don't bake as much as I used to, and really enjoy being able to satisfy my "dessert" cravings with a little something from the store.
     I have been making pumpkin pies lately because Fred suddenly got a hankering for it. We always have real whipped cream on pumpkin pie, and that adds considerable calories, but it's so worth it! Fred has gained some weight, which he needs to do - but I have to be very careful. And that's all I'm going to say about that.


No comments:

Spring Thoughts and Trials

 I heard the first frogs of the season on Tuesday. I was working on getting my porch set up ready for summer weather and realized there were...