Friday, May 25, 2018

This picture was taken by Shelly Walker of Michael Cody and his wife with Tom Dente, president of Joe's Pond Association on Thursday when Michael received his check as this years' Ice-Out Contest winner. Here's what Shelly wrote:

Attached are two pictures that I took Thursday when Tom Dente presented the Ice-Out winner check to Mike Cody and his wife Betsy.  Mike talked about my Dad [Don Walker] selling  him his first Ice-Out tickets many years ago.  Since then he buys about 50 tickets a year.  This year with the particularly cold weather in March, he purchased an extra 10 tickets to cover dates in May.  It was very cold and windy Thursday morning; we joked about the ice coming back.  It makes me remember something my Mom used to say:  the ice on Joes Pond never really goes out; it sinks just below the surface in the spring and then resurfaces in the fall.

Dana, a reporter from the Caledonian Record, was there to cover the event.

I checked the water temperature at the end of my dock earlier this week.  It was 58 degrees!  I saw someone water skiing last Friday.  The air temperature was 32.  Brave soul.
 
I can think of other adjectives to describe that water skier - I hope he was wearing a wetsuit. Even so, it must have been a cold ride. I hope he (and I use "he" with confidence - water skiing in those conditions is strictly something only a macho male would do) enjoyed himself and didn't spend the weekend down with pneumonia. 
Tomorrow (Saturday, May 26th) is our Joe's Pond Association's Spring Meeting - 10 a.m. at the pavilion. It may be chilly and wet, so dress accordingly. We aren't expecting snow like we've experienced some years at spring meeting, but the wind is usually blowing over there and it's likely to be cold, even with the side curtains on the pavilion. See you there.


No comments:

Spring Thoughts and Trials

 I heard the first frogs of the season on Tuesday. I was working on getting my porch set up ready for summer weather and realized there were...