Thursday, April 05, 2018

Stuck in Vermont Video with Eva Sollberger

We're getting a jump on the Friday night airing of Eva Sollberger's "Stuck in Vermont" about Joe's Pond Ice Out Contest. It is posted on HERE on sevendays.com. I really enjoyed watching the video - nice shots of the pond and particularly nice interviews with everyone. Larry, Jay, Judee, Shelly, Kevin, Jane and Garey - you are all stars! It looked like everyone had fun with it. 
     I was in St. Johnsbury for a dental appointment today and although the wind was blowing down there, it was nothing compared to how it was howling through West Danville!  When I stopped at the post office on my way home, I honestly wondered if I was going to be able to open the car door. It was really whipping down the street, right off the ice. I could feel it against the car as I was coming down out of Danville. 
     We had high winds during the night that took down a couple of trees on West Shore Road. I could see the remnants when I went by. Apparently the Town of Cabot road crew got out early and took care of them - Dr. Scott Pelok, my dentist, lives on Sandy Beach Road and said they had already been moved when he went out early this morning. It looked to me as if they were pretty well decayed - like perhaps they'd been standing dead trees - but even so, they can block the road, for sure. With the wind still blowing a gale, we could have more down today or tonight, and possibly power outages. At least the sun is out - it isn't warm, by any stretch of the imagination, but nice with the sun when you're in the car.
     I noticed there is a good sized stretch of open water in the narrows between the big pond and the middle pond. Not surprising since the water runs fairly swift through that narrow opening, especially after a rain when there's a lot of extra water coming into the pond. Sometimes there is a little waterfall right there as the pressure build up in the big pond and not enough is getting through the narrows. All of that is working on melting the ice - and that's a good sign spring is coming! We may have to go through some cooler days before it warms up again, but that's ok. We'll get there!

No comments:

Update & Request

 Marti Talbot, Carolyn Hamilton's sister-in-law, emailed me this morning to thank everyone who has reached out to Carolyn while she'...