Tuesday, February 06, 2018

I once again want to thank all the people who have sent cards to Fred and called or written notes with encouragement as he moves through the healing process after his operation on January 11th. We knew it was going to be a long haul to get back to feeling normal, but we didn't expect more surprises. However, life is full of jolts and the unexpected, and on Monday morning, Fred awakened me saying he was finding breathing difficult. We called 9-1-1 and our neighbor, David Covell, was first to arrive. Dave is a first responder for Cabot. He assured us the ambulance from Barre would be here shortly. Why Barre? Because we are in Washington County and Cabot currently does not have enough volunteers, so usually cannot respond. I don't know why Danville wasn't called - or if they were and they, too, have a shortage of volunteers. Long story short, Fred was taken to Northeast Vermont Regional Hospital. Turns out he has pneumonia and some other problems going on in his lungs. He was doing much better when I saw him today, but the doctors will know more about what's going on once they get all the information from the cultures taken. All this after he seemed to be doing exceptionally well, exercising, getting his appetite back, and feeling a little better each day, we thought. Sunday was a low energy day for him, but we watched most of the football game, and figured he had perhaps overdone the exercising. Now we know his body was trying to fight off the infection in his lungs. 
    Of course, I'm fearful of the flu - for him and for myself - so I'm being careful to wash my hands before and after visiting him, and trying to stay far away from crowds or individuals who are sneezing and coughing. I cannot afford to get sick, and Fred certainly doesn't need any more complications.
      We both appreciate very much all the interest friends and family have shown, and I just want you to know that if I'm not blogging every day it's because I'm spending time with Fred.

No comments:

Regulations and Seasonal Changes

 The change to Vermont's boating regulations regarding wake boats went into effect on April 15. One of the new regulations I wasn't...