Wednesday, December 27, 2017

   We have bright sunshine, but the temperature is still only two degrees above zero.  It was at least five below here overnight--likely colder in many spots around the pond, and we picked up just under another two inches of new snow.
    I had a message yesterday (Tuesday) from Mary Whitcomb about "Clem," the miss-placed Baltimore oriole. He is still hanging out at her house and a neighbor's. Here's what she wrote:
 The Baltimore Oriole was here again today which makes day 17.  So amazing!  My family got to see him on Christmas day, too.  You can see him dozing in pics 4 & 5, taken at 3:45 this afternoon.  The poor bird is going to have a tough time ahead with the bitter cold temps.  If he can survive this freezing week, he might make it.  He eats a little clementines, but alot of red raspberry jelly at my feeder and eats suet at my neighbor’s home.  I hope it’s enough.  Take care and keep warm.  Mary Whitcomb

    The poor little guy. I love that he has a buddy in the second photo. Those last two shots--I don't know--when humans get hypothermia and fall asleep, they don't wake up. On the other hand, he can't stay awake 24/7. Someone asked me the other day if it would be possible to give him some shelter, like a birdhouse, perhaps. It would at least get him out of the elements, and if there was enough nesting material in there, it might help a little. I'm sure Mary has thought of that and perhaps had some advice about it. It seems to me he's got a pretty ample coat of fluffy feathers--perhaps more than normal due to the cold weather, perhaps?  If so, I hope that will help. I know lots of people are watching and hoping he makes it! He is such a lovely little bird. At least he's apparently smart enough to stay where he's getting the food he needs. Mary, I think he's definitely bonded with you. He poses beautifully for the camera!
     Viewers, click on one of the photos to see them larger.








No comments:

Regulations and Seasonal Changes

 The change to Vermont's boating regulations regarding wake boats went into effect on April 15. One of the new regulations I wasn't...