Friday, October 02, 2015

We just came back from getting our flu shots.  It is amazing how much easier (spell that "less painful") they are now than just a few years ago. I hardly felt the needle and so far there's no evidence that my arm is going to react at all.  I remember sometimes having a regular "egg" where the shot went and a painful arm for a few days, but not recently.  I would hardly know I'd had it.  I expect part of that is due to the expertise of the technician giving the shot - today Arthur instructed us to "put your hand on your hip and wiggle your toes."  Well, of course that's quite enough to get your mind off the shot, and I can see a great advantage giving those instructions to children, but for seniors like Fred and me, I just had to giggle.  I'm sure I've had way more shots in my lifetime than Arthur has had birthdays, but I applaud him for his technique.

On our way home we stopped at the post office to pick up mail and any gossip - got some of the former, but none of the latter.  The last couple of times I've been in Diane has been having a hard time  struggling with addresses for people who have left without changing their address or simply aren't known here.  I can sometimes be of help if it's a Joe's Ponder, and I've provided a JPA directory in the past, but the problem persists and Diane said it would be a big help if people remembered to stop in or send a "Change of Address" card before they leave for the winter.  If you haven't already done that, she has no way of knowing where to send your mail, so do let her know where you'll be even if you go the same place every year. She really needs to have notification so your mail will not languish in your box here when you are relaxing in the sunshine some place else.  Diane is always so upbeat and smiling, sometimes we don't realize there's anything troubling her, but you'll make her smile even brighter by filing a change of address when you leave - and of course do the same at the other end before you leave to come back in the spring.

From the post office, we took a quick ride up Old Homestead Road to see how the two new cottages are progressing.  The foundations are mostly in for both, as near as we could tell, and the Nicholson's garage (see pic above), which is relatively new, is set aside, waiting to be set in place once the new house is in.  I believe the Nicholsons are having a Huntington Home.  I'm not sure what the Rustad siblings will be putting up.  From the foundation (pictured here) it seems as if it isn't going to be huge, but it will certainly be a big improvement.  Next door, the Cassani's new home is looking very nice (see photo, left).  Old Homestead Road is looking good these days - updated and well-kept cottages all along there.  And as we left and drove up Brown Road to Route 15, there is some very nice color on the upper side of Route 15.  Please click on any of the photos to enlarge them.

We have some real fall weather now, with temperature in the low 50's today and a chilly wind that made it feel much cooler.  We didn't get frost last night at our house, but I'm sure some folks did.  It's kind of nice to have cooler weather and also having had some rain, it may mean the autumn color will finally break out in earnest.  Autumn on the Green is coming up on Sunday in Danville, and it looks as if it might be a pretty nice day for it since Joaquin seems to be heading further east than expected.  You'll need to wear some warm layers to be comfortable if you plan to spend some time browsing all the vendors on Sunday, but at least we should stay dry. However, some coastal areas are still going to experience problems, according to weather experts.  Here is a very informative site, Anatomy of a Hurricane, and good information on how to be prepared.










No comments:

Spring Mix!

I started this a couple days ago but got kind of busy and never got back to it. I had posted about the Route 2 construction, but that notice...