Thursday, September 24, 2015

Yesterday was the first day of fall, and I barely believed that as I enjoyed a perfect "summer" day in the 70s with almost no fall colors showing up yet; then today, as I was munching lunch and watching my favorite soap, "The Young and the Restless," I couldn't believe my ears when the unmistakable strains of "Jingle Bells" caught my attention - a K-Mart ad telling customers to come do Christmas shopping and put items on lay-away.  Makes sense, I guess.  Shopping this time of the year is more comfortable than braving freezing weather, slush and snow in December (if we're lucky enough to get a "normal" winter), and the unexpected Christmas music certainly got my attention.  I was surprised a few years ago by Christmas music and decorations in mid-October at some store we wandered into - I don't remember where.  Used to be we didn't get the Holiday music going until after Thanksgiving.  Times have changed.  

All this wonderful weather with cooler temperatures has inspired me to be out and about working in the gardens and whatnot.  The cooler air upped my energy and I took advantage of that to get some projects done, both inside and outside.  In the process, I pulled a rib muscle ever so slightly, or at least that's what I thought, but by the end of the day I realized I should have stopped and iced it when I first did it.  Because I ignored the twinge, I spent an uncomfortable night, which added to my misery and that of everyone around me the next day. I tend to get cranky when I don't get enough sleep.  Seemed like anything I tried to do hurt, sneezing  or coughing was out of the question, and no position was really comfortable.  Meanwhile the nice weather continued and I remained pretty much out of commission for about two days.  Now I barely feel it as long as I don't do anything silly.  I spend a fair amount of time every morning exercising to keep my back and neck muscles in shape, so now I'm going to be checking out some stretches for chest and rib muscles. 

Here's a neat picture Fred got when we were at Caleb and Mary Pitkin's in Cabot yesterday.  Horsepower - mechanical and in the flesh.  There is nothing more handsome than well kept horses.

  

No comments:

Spring Weather/Good News

 Thank goodness we have a rainy day today! Yesterday was so nice I was outside probably more than my winter-weary body needed, so today I...