Saturday, September 19, 2015

Our summer weather continues - a little cooler perhaps today, but still warmer than normal and very enjoyable.  I picked more apples for applesauce and for the freezer.  I'm shunning my computer these days in favor of doing more interesting and energetic projects - I have way more energy when the weather isn't too hot and muggy. 

Fred's brother, Tom and his wife, Ellie, are visiting Ellie's sister in Tucson, Arizona right now.  Tom sent this photo of the new
streetcar there called the Sun Link.  It only runs something like 3 1/2 miles through the city, but apparently has been money well spent. Commerce has picked up considerably in the downtown area since it started running.  I think the design is particularly ugly, or maybe it's all the vivid advertising I'm reacting to.  I'm amazed that the power source is overhead electric lines - it's as if technology hasn't changed since the 1800s.  I would have thought in a place like Tucson the thing would be solar powered - or at the very least the power source would be under the cars, not overhead.  Most places are trying to hide ugly utility lines.  However, residents seem to be pleased with the newly operating transportation system, and probably few object to the design.  I found this history of streetcars pretty interesting; and it brings to mind that given enough time, "everything old is new again."

No comments:

Spring Weather/Good News

 Thank goodness we have a rainy day today! Yesterday was so nice I was outside probably more than my winter-weary body needed, so today I...