Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Steady rain and a few rumbles of thunder this morning, but the temperature is around 70 degrees, so it's not terribly uncomfortable.
Yesterday was hot in St. Johnsbury.  I went to visit my long-time friend, Lucille, and came away with some interesting information about Injun Joe's Cabins when her parents, Glen and Sylvia Jones, owned it.  Each cabin was immaculate, inside and out when they had them.  Glen was good with tools and keep things ship-shape; Sylvia saw to it the cabins were perfectly set up and clean inside.  They added a couple of cabins and maintained a neat little gift shop in the main lodge.  

I boarded with Glen and Sylvia in St. Johnsbury when I first went to work there in the 1950s.  Sylvia was a great cook and I had to be careful or else I would have put on way too many pounds.  Glen worked at Lesnick's Farm Machinery, and was a great salesman. Lucille and I both worked for Lesnick's in those days.  There were two businesses - the farm machinery that Harry Lesnick oversaw and the DeSoto/Plymouth sales and service that his brother, Louis Lesnick ran.  Lucille and I were bookkeepers (and sometimes secretaries, as needed) under head bookkeeper Arthur Nelson.  It was a thriving business and we worked 5 1/2 days a week.  Lucille had pictures from those days, pictures I hadn't seen for ages.  We find it hard to believe it was so long ago - the years have zipped by.  Here we are, getting ready to go on a picnic - Ray, Jane, Lucille and Herman.  That was probably about 1952 - see what I mean?  63 years ago!


Today we had our television dish moved from the roof onto a pole on the ground at the end of our house.  No more nights of Fred having to go out and walk the ridgepole to get to the tv dish to clean the sloppy snow off!  He has always said it was "no big deal," but I have always thought it was really dangerous to be out there in the total darkness high on a rooftop.  Now it's shoulder high and as long as we don't get four feet of snow, we should be just fine.  Even then the worst that could happen is that we'd have to shovel a trench in front of the thing so it would have a clear shot towards the ski.  Of course, the trees on the hillside could, and probably will, get too high at some point, but we think that's at least a few years down the road.








2 comments:

Marcia & John said...

My grandfather was the bookkeeper you referred to as Arthur Nelson. Can you tell me more about his time in St Johnsbury? I am trying to tie up genealogy loose ends?

Anonymous said...

Louis Lesnick was my grandfather. - Niccole Lee Lesnick

Spring Thoughts and Trials

 I heard the first frogs of the season on Tuesday. I was working on getting my porch set up ready for summer weather and realized there were...