Sunday, August 16, 2015

I spent quite a lot of time last week preparing to conduct a tour of two of Cabot's one-room school houses that have been restored.  There are always certain things that need to be done before we take people to see these treasures - like being sure they are clean and presentable and above all, open when we arrive.  I had everything coordinated and even some brochures printed in case they wanted to know dates these old buildings were in use.  It was a group of photographers who wanted to take some nighttime shots on Cabot Plain by the Foster Covered Bridge.  They contacted me months ago and expressed interest in the old schools we describe on our website www.cabothistory.com.   I was ready.  We were to meet yesterday, Saturday, at 3 o'clock in Cabot Village.  I had others who are involved with the Cabot Historical Society who were going along, and just before I left the house I decided to check my e-mail one more time (I don't have a smart phone or any of the hand-held gadgets), so imagine my surprise when up popped a message from the organizer with the photo club saying they had decided not to come due to the weather.  It had been sent at about noon on Saturday.  We're pretty low-tech; I have a basic cell phone I only use for emergencies, and none of the people here who were going with me have them - or if they do, I don't have their numbers, so they couldn't be reached except at home, but I tried and they had all left to meet me at the appointed time and place.  There was no way to reach the people scheduled to have the schools opened, either, so long story short, I did a tour with my buddies, Bonnie, Peter and Julie, from the historical society, and it was fun.  

Most of us knew the West Hill School from previous visits, meetings or cleanings, but I hadn't visited in a while, so I was happy to get a "dry run," so to speak.  The West Hill School is pictured here. Inside it is very much like it was when there were students there.  It is a charming old building and although there are some elements that are not what were originally there, like the Vermont Castings wood stove, or durable paint on the floors and woodwork, and framed photos of former students on the wall, it's otherwise authentic.

The weather held off nicely and we did a repeat visit to the Center of Town where Bonnie and Julie hadn't seen the damage to the big boulder (spray paint graffiti that's yet to be cleaned up), and then went to the Plain to see the Walbridge School, which I hadn't visited in many years. This school was purchased and moved by Richard Spaulding from it's original position on Route 215 where his mother, a Walbridge, and her siblings had all gone to school.  It is now in a corner of Mr. Spaulding's field on Cabot Plain, and has been updated with electricity, running water, and even a basement.  No such accouterments were in the original, but the outside appearance has remained unchanged and inside are numerous family photos, some old school desks, and comfortable seating so it can be used as a guest house on occasion, but is still preserved, and we appreciate that.


We know that the first school ever in Cabot was on Cabot Plain and although there is a granite marker near the Walbridge School indicating it is the site of that first school, that is not the case.  The marker was moved some 60 years or more ago when the local road commissioner wanted to widen the road and it was in his way - so he moved it unceremoniously to the opposite side of the road.  The stone has been badly chipped, either by the wings of the snow plow or perhaps other machinery, and we wondered yesterday if perhaps it should be moved, if possible, to a safer location.  


All things considered, it was a very nice day and I enjoyed the "tour" even though my out-of-state visitors were not present. 






No comments:

Spring Thoughts and Trials

 I heard the first frogs of the season on Tuesday. I was working on getting my porch set up ready for summer weather and realized there were...