Wednesday, May 06, 2015

We didn't get much rain last night - I measured .05 inch in my collection tube.  Not enough to wet things down sufficiently.  Everything is very dry in the woods, even though the snow has really only been gone a few days.  Things are beginning to get a little green - even that small amount of rain helped the grass - and trees are budding.  It wasn't as warm today, but still quite nice.

Karen Cobb in Virginia, sent this picture of "Gunnar," their new puppy, and I noticed how lush and pretty things are there, making the perfect background for this handsome fellow.  Karen is looking forward to fun with Gunnar at Joe's Pond.  He's only about 15 weeks old, so there are lots of new things for him to explore and learn about.

Things are beginning to change here at the pond.  The Joe's Pond Craft Shop is open - I haven't been in to see Deb, but I noticed a few cars there when I came through town this morning.  Then up the road Sambel's food truck is back.  I expect with road work going on in the area this summer they will do well.  I think the crew working on the rail trail are closer to Danville and St. Johnsbury, so they find other places for their lunches.  At Hastings Store, James and Garey are still making their home-made offerings.  The traffic is different since the post office is only open in the afternoon - mail doesn't get sorted until mid or late afternoon, as I understand it, wo mornings at the store tend to be pretty quiet. 

Jane is home from the hospital in Boston.  I haven't seen her, but have been told she's been out and about a little bit.  She did not have the procedure the doctors had thought could help her, but they may have found other ways to make her more comfortable.  We wish her the very best.

I talked on the phone with our granddaughter, Tangeni, for a few minutes tonite.  When she calls, right after her cheerful, "Hi, Grandma," she will always ask, "How's Woody?" and then her next question is "How's Grandpa?"  Tonight she had a little cough, and when I asked if she had a cold, she told me, "Yes, I'm very sick."  Her dad quickly came on the phone and told me she's not sick, just has a residual cough that seems to be useful for getting a little extra attention.  Her dance recital is this Thursday through Saturday, so both she and big sister Jo-Ann have been very busy with rehearsals. It seems like a hefty schedule to do so many shows - I think four including the Saturday matinee.  A lot for a four-year-old, and also a heavy schedule for a teenager with a very busy school schedule.  They will both need some down time after the performances are over.

Woody is actually very happy these warm nights.  He comes in only long enough for a snack and then wants to go right back out.  The night sounds and smells transform him from a laid-back house buddy to a lithe, bright-eyed predator.  A couple nights ago he'd only been outside for a short time when I heard a loud knock on the kitchen door.  I went to let him in, careful to open the door only a crack because sometimes he has a critter in his mouth and then lets it go in the house so we have to hunt the poor thing down.  This particular night I was surprised that Woody wasn't anxiously  pressing his nose against the door like he usually does, so I opened the door wider and as I did, I caught a glimpse of Woody darting down the stairs into the garage just as a mole scooted off the threshold onto the stoop in the opposite direction.  Apparently, like a kid playing a prank, Woody had brought his quarry to us, knocked on the door and then ran, leaving his gift on the door step.  It all happened very quickly - I shouted "Woody!" at him as he fled and slammed the door shut so the mole couldn't get into the kitchen.   I almost felt ashamed that I didn't appreciate his loving gesture more. I had to giggle, though, at the similarity to a kid ringing the doorbell and then running away.  For those of you who may not be familiar with Woody, our cat, we have hung a sap spout on a string on our back door and taught Woody to bat the spout, causing it to knock on the door when he wants to come in.  He has a very meek meow for such a big cat, but he knows how to give that sap spout a good wallop so we have no trouble hearing it.  If we don't respond right away, he bats it harder.  He's no fool, and we're his "staff."






No comments:

Update & Request

 Marti Talbot, Carolyn Hamilton's sister-in-law, emailed me this morning to thank everyone who has reached out to Carolyn while she'...