Wednesday, May 27, 2015

I think summer is here!  Well, at least a preview of what summer may be like.  It's been hot and muggy the last couple of days and we even had some rain along with our first real thunder storm.  It seems a lot like summer to me, but it still smells like spring - there is the scent of apple blossoms in the air and that rich, heavy smell of warm, wet earth after the rain - it doesn't get much better than that.  The June bugs are bouncing off my office window; I keep it closed, otherwise they cling to the screen and their buzzing is distracting.  Besides that, I have a feeling there are tiny flying bugs that could make it through the screen only to die before morning, and I don't want the dead bodies cluttering my desk and getting into my computer.

I expect most of Vermont knows that Marselis Parsons, former news director at WCAX passed away.  We watched tonight as nearly the whole broadcast was devoted to memorializing him.  It was interesting and very touching.  I didn't know him personally, but I was sorry when he retired a few years ago, and now it's hard to imagine that we won't see any of his "postcards" again.  I noticed they mentioned his interest in sailing, and I know he had a lovely vintage inboard boat; he also had an interest in vintage Vespa scooters.  I know this because some years ago our youngest son, Jamie, had occasion to talk with Marselis and found out they had Vespas in common.  It is sad he didn't have more time to enjoy his retirement, interests, family and friends.  I thought his friends and former co-workers at WCAX did a very nice job remembering him on the air tonight.  It was a fitting tribute.

I have been putting scraps out for the crows.  They have been very active around our house this year and they are one of my favorite birds.  I read an article recently about how tame they can be once they realize you aren't going to hurt them.  I suspect I'll run out of fruit and vegetable scraps before they get very chummy, but it's still fun to watch them working on whatever I've put out.  I got some pictures this morning - and that isn't easy, because they have very sharp eyes and get spooked at the slightest movement in a window.  I waited until they were concentrating on the potato peels and ended up with a series of pretty good shots.  The picture at the top of the page was taken last fall and they weren't as high on my list of favorites then - they consistently got to the apples before we did - bouncing on the branches to knock them off or pecking at them on the tree.  I had to admit they were pretty crafty and I respect their ingenuity. They can be noisy, but their calls and squaks are so varied, I enjoy guessing whether they are calling others in to join the fun or cussing out one that's already there. I'll probably never figure it out as I don't have a lot of time for studying the habits of crows.  I do enjoy watching them from my office window as I work, though.

No comments:

Update & Request

 Marti Talbot, Carolyn Hamilton's sister-in-law, emailed me this morning to thank everyone who has reached out to Carolyn while she'...