Monday, September 08, 2014

I've transitioned into fall mode, resuming meetings and gearing up for various events and projects.  First, the group that's putting together a history of West Danville met today after several months "off." We are hoping to find people who have photos and memories of West Danville as far back as possible or perhaps have diaries or other memorabilia from family members who lived in West Danville a generation or more ago.  Please search your memory, attic or wherever and share your treasures with us.  If you remember buildings, farms or other businesses that used to be in West Danville and are now gone, or someone who used to live here and no longer does, we're interested.  Personal stories about things that happened here are of interest, too - about dances at Point Comfort, moving the road and building the bridge, paving Route 2, farms, mills, gas stations (did you know at one time there were four filling stations in West Danville?  All at one time!  Jane Larrabee says you could be at any one of them and have a conversation with people at the other three), drownings, unusual deaths, happy events, tragedies, the railroad and train stories, town characters or famous folks - things you haven't thought about in years, perhaps.  We want to know.  If you have photos or recollections, we'd like to hear from you.  Contact any of us - Jane Larrabee (larrabee.vt@gmail.com), Dorothy Larrabee (dlarrabee78@gmail.com), Patty Conley, (skylinerdh@gmail.com) or me (janebrown@fairpoint.net.)

This evening I went to our first Apple Pie Festival meeting and we are going to be looking for people to enter their pie(s) in the contest or anyone who will make one or more apple pies for us to sell (get in touch with Mary Beth Churchill, 563-2345; then we have the Silent Auction, so I'm looking for items for that - antiques, new items or gently used, unique hand-made articles, but no used clothing or yard sale items, please; give me a call (563-2381) and we'll pick your item(s) up.  If you do crafts and would like a table, contact Beth Hoffman, 563-2129 (bethannhoffman@hotmail.com).
The Apple Pie Festival is on October 18, but we're getting things in order and will be happy to hear from you any time.  Beth already has several crafters signed up for tables and space is limited, so if you want space, best to get in touch with her very soon.  This is our one big fund raiser each year for the Cabot Historical Society.

 On my way to the meeting tonight, I got a couple of pictures from the hill near the Plains Cemetery.  It was too early for the sunset, but I'm betting it was spectacular tonight.  There were just a few clouds and that always makes it interesting.  When I came home, I got this shot of the moon. If you click on it to enlarge it, the faint details show up.  This was another "super moon," I heard the weather people say tonight.  It was beautiful.  The top picture is looking west from the cemetery towards Camel's Hump; the moon was in the east, over Joe's Pond, but taken from the same location, on the hill by the Plains Cemetery.  I could hear geese when I was there before sundown, and I expect the coyotes were racing through the woods tonight, but I didn't stop long enough to listen for them on the way home.  They send chills up my spine whenever I hear them, and standing alone in the dark by a cemetery listening to their wails wouldn't be my idea of a fun thing to do.



No comments:

Spring Thoughts and Trials

 I heard the first frogs of the season on Tuesday. I was working on getting my porch set up ready for summer weather and realized there were...