Thursday, August 07, 2014

Here we are enjoying another beautiful day in the North Country!  I love the weather patterns this summer, especially that weekends have been mostly beautiful.  I just heard a rumble of thunder, but the sun is still out and it seems unlikely it will amount to much. 

I guess most of you are aware this is going to be a busy weekend.  Danville Fair is "Back on the Green in 2014" starting tomorrow and running through Saturday.  In addition to that, Cabot's Alumni Day is on Saturday - a big event for those who went to Cabot High School.  Then, there is the author, Grannie Snow reading her books at the Kingdom Animal Shelter (click on poster) and the big Horseshoe Tournament in Marshfield (see poster at right, below.  Then, on Sunday afternoon, there's the Joe's Pond Association's Cocktail Party (everyone invited) at the pavilion ($5.00, BYOB and an appetizer to share is always appreciated) and that will be a very nice social event to sort of wind down the busy weekend.  That is a lot for one weekend, but surely there's "something for everyone".

Already the next week is filling up.
   Jesscott Music Ministries Presents:
                                        PAUL GIBBS
                                           In Concert
                      at the West Danville United Methodist Church
                           VT Rt. 15 across from Joes Pond beach
                                  Sunday, August 17 at 3:00 p.m.
Paul is a Christian singer, songwriter, worship leader and recording
artist from Hudson Falls, NY.  The founder of Jesscott Music Ministries, he uses his music to bring God's message of love and salvation through Jesus to the world.  Come and be blessed as Paul shares his music and testimony!

Then: The Chicken BBQ takeout at the West Danville church on August 23rd.


Here's something that could entertain you all summer long, for years to come.  The Richer's are selling their pontoon boat.  It's a really nice one, and if you've been thinking about having one, check out the ad on Craig's List, and then give Evelyn and Ray a call. 

It's sad that summer is winding down - I'm watching the back yard showing shades of yellow and brown as ferns and other summer plants begin to shrivel.  It seems as if the daffies and tulips were just here a few days ago; I hardly remember the peonies blooming, and now there's phlox and a few straggling daylillies, some wild daisies, paintbrush and goldenrod beginning to bloom.  Darn, the summer seemed much shorter than usual - probably because we were really busy - but now I'm reminded I have to gear up for fall activities - both domestic and volunteer.  Whatever happened to being bored?  I don't remember the last time . . . 

Now I need to get back to business.  I have e-mail to answer and some lawn chaises to re-web - three of them, in fact.  I'll tell you the story:  I was trying to find some in stores - the now apparently  old fashioned ones that are light weight aluminum, fold up neatly and can be re-webbed as needed; but they are scarce as hen's teeth.  I found newer designs, tested them, hefted them and then turned them down.  Then, a few weeks ago I mentioned to son, Bob at camp that I was looking for a lawn chaise "like the ones we used to have here at camp," and he brought out three of them - all old friends I recognized immediately that had endured numerous re-dos over the years and were still in pretty good shape except for some silt from being stored in the basement at camp. They were occasionally under water during spring flooding, etc. 

The "kids" at camp use those beach chairs that I find ungainly to lower myself into and nearly impossible to get out of in any ladylike fashion.  I like the "up off the ground" chaises that are easy to navigate into and out of. So now I have three - one I can use without re-webbing, the other two will be challenging due to rusted screws, but I've washed them down, and with a little nut loosener they'll be free of the old webbing and fitted with something colorful (yes, I finally found webbing on-line!), and they'll be as good as ever, ready for at least another couple decades use.  I really love reclaiming stuff instead of throwing it away and buying something new - that's not always better.  Besides, it's projects like this that keep me from being bored.


No comments:

Regulations and Seasonal Changes

 The change to Vermont's boating regulations regarding wake boats went into effect on April 15. One of the new regulations I wasn't...