Wednesday, June 18, 2014

In case you were wondering how Bark in the Park works (see yesterday's post about that Kingdom Animal Shelter fund raiser), here is an explanation from Helen M.:
It is this Saturday after the pet parade in St. J.  One buys a tennis ball for $5.  Your name and contact info go inside.  We put all the balls out on the lawn of the park next to the Catholic Church in St. J.  Then Body, the St. J Police dog, picks 5 balls.  Two get $50, two get $100, and one gets $500....all courtesy of Community National Bank.  If anyone wants to buy a tennis ball or two or five, they can call me at 563-2488 and I will make it happen.
Thank you.
Helen

I found .30 in. of precipitation in my rain gauge this morning.  It rained hard during the night, and around midnight there was a rumble or two of thunder - although Fred said he heard thunder earlier in the evening.  I didn't hear it, but I was watching an old movie, "Random Harvest," with Greer Garson and Ronald Colman.  

I'd forgotten what a nice movie Random Harvest (filmed in 1942 set in 1918-1920's) is.  A bit stilted compared to movies produced these days, but a nice story.  I'm always surprised that I hardly notice when a movie is in black and white, if it's good; we're so used to vivid color on TV and in movies, it's kind of a welcome change to not have to see bloody wounds and vivid explosions.  True, b&w may challenge your imagination a bit, but that can be a good thing. Also, in the old movies, love scenes were protected by fade-outs and left to one's imagination; a far cry from the raw, writhing, naked, full-color passion scenes produced today leaving nothing to the imagination.  A good story line really doesn't need all the decoration.  

Even the way actors delivered their lines has changed dramatically (no pun intended!)  But then, the way people address each other in real life has changed considerably in the past 72 years since that movie was made.  Not only is the general vocabulary different, the way people interact is very different, too.  Manners seem to be lacking, or at least changing.  There are always exceptions.  Many years ago, a friend told me, "I'm 80 years old and I've earned the right to say whatever I want to."  And she did - colorfully, to whomever, wherever and whenever she felt the need to set things straight.  She was considered eccentric, and since then, I've known a number of outspoken, "eccentric" elders.  One day, the young people we hear talking in monosyllables and expletives will no doubt be considered eccentric, too, I suppose.  I wonder what their conversations will sound like.  I also wonder what movies will be like in another 70 years or so. It's hard to imagine either could be more explicit or extreme.

No comments:

Spring Weather/Good News

 Thank goodness we have a rainy day today! Yesterday was so nice I was outside probably more than my winter-weary body needed, so today I...