Saturday, October 26, 2013

We're enjoying snow showers here at Joe's Pond today.  The snow isn't sticking, in most spots, but it's definitely a huge switch from the near 70 degree weather we were having just a week ago.  We had a low of 25.3 last night, and more nasty weather predicted for the next few days, at least.  The forecast is for rain, but we know it will likely be snow showers here.  There is a brisk wind out of the southeast this morning, too.  That makes it feel colder.

I had a nice note from Butch Bouchard about the slide show I posted last night.  Butch and Sue are not far away from the area we visited, and he said they often go there for a get-away, and Butch knows the area from growing up nearby in Haverhill, MA.  Here's what he said:  

Your pictures of the coast of NH & ME were awesome.  It saved Susan and I a trip that way this weekend.  As it's not far from our home in Haverhill, MA, it makes for a nice & quick get-away for us.  The Salisbury and Hampton beaches were a frequent hangout for me as a teenager, once my friends and I got our licenses. 

 The photo of the Isles of Shoals was so close.  I believe the islands are about 8 miles from the point you took the picture from, which I'm guessing is about where some of those large beautiful homes are. That's actually the closest point on the mainland.  I've been out there several times in my life and I couldn't imaging living out there.  Some do still.

So thanks for that show.  Good work.

Butch


We will be putting in some time at the Cabot Historical Society building this weekend, wrapping up from the Apple Pie Festival, and preparing to close the building for the winter. After that, I have a couple of new projects I'll be working on - one with the Danville Historical Society, and one I've already started, digitizing the interviews done for the Cabot Oral History book published in 1999.  While the book has a wealth of information and quotes, and we used what we considered to be the most important stuff, reading the whole interviews gives one a better sense of the people involved, not only the person being interviewed, but also the one asking the questions.  We have these interviews on tapes, and they will be further preserved in MP3 format; and when I'm finished scanning the pages of transcriptions, we'll also have a hard copy of every interview done.  It's going to be a lot of work, and time consuming, but I started this past summer so I could be sure it was something I could actually do, and it went very well, so I'm excited to get back to that.  First, I have some wrapping up of some other loose ends, but at least I have a couple of interesting projects to look forward to this winter.

That said, I need to get busy - right now!

Oh, yes, someone asked if Woody missed us while we were away.  Marie and Jamie looked in on him, kept is food and water dishes full (he worries if either gets low!) and said he followed them wherever they went as they tended to his needs, and kept up a constant conversation.  Woody seldom meows, so we have to believe he was lonesome for some human contact.  When we got home, he was far more interested in us than even getting outdoors - usually his foremost thought after being unable to go out for a while - and he's still sticking very close to us, keeping one of us on his radar at all times.  He went out briefly last night and brought back a gift of a mouse - dead, fortunately, as we didn't spot it until he dropped it on the rug at Fred's feet.  And he didn't even eat off the head before he gave it to us!  For him, that's a high compliment.

No comments:

Regulations and Seasonal Changes

 The change to Vermont's boating regulations regarding wake boats went into effect on April 15. One of the new regulations I wasn't...