Thursday, September 19, 2013

On Biting Dogs and Handshakes

Unfortunately, I must report one of our summer neighbors was bitten by a neighbor's dog yesterday while walking on West Shore Road.  There was only the one bite, on her leg, but it was severe enough to send her to the emergency room at the hospital.  She had been unable to contact the dog's owner when I spoke with her last evening, but fortunately, a check with the town clerk revealed the dog was up to date on all shots, so she was given only an antibiotic to prevent infection.  

I know the owner of the dog and know she always keeps her dogs  either inside or securely hitched, so I'm confident it was by accident the dog was loose; however, it's unfortunate this happened, and dog owners need to be absolutely certain their animals are not allowed loose and unattended - ever.  Even the most docile canine may become aggressive under certain circumstances.

I know first hand what it's like to be bitten by a dog while innocently walking by a home.  Several years ago a very similar thing happened to me: the dog just rushed at me when I was walking by and with absolutely no warning, bit my arm and then retreated.  I was completely shaken, and I am still very wary of unfamiliar dogs; but even worse, that experience forever ruined my enjoyment of regular walks along that particular stretch of road.

I  know I  sometimes go off on tangents here on my blog, and "handshakes" may seem an unusual subject to write about, but here's the thing - most people prefer a "firm" handshake, and consider anything less an indication of weakness of character, or something.  However, I have some fairly mild arthritis in my hands and for a long time, those "firm" handshakes  make me wince.  Some are really crushing.  I went on line and read some chatter about how people perceive handshakes, and not once did anyone mention having this problem - perhaps everyone weighing in on line is still young enough not to have sore, arthritic joints, but I'm betting there are other "seniors" like  myself who find handshakes sometimes painful and occasionally darned near crippling.

My late father-in-law used to be one of those "bone crushers," and in addition, he expected a handshake upon every meeting - no matter if we'd visited only days before - and everyone was included, sons, daughters, in-laws, strangers - and all got the same vice-like grip.  I finally had to refuse his offer of a handshake and explain his grip was just too much for me.  He was in his 80s at the time, and I used to wonder if the extra firm grip was his way of proving he was not old and failing.  

I  don't mind the custom of shaking hands when meeting someone for the first time, and I'm often reminded that etiquette used to dictate men should wait for a woman to offer her hand first; but I'd feel awkward about not offering, or responding to, a handshake.  There are some people whose name I never grasped because of the painful handshake, and I've missed whole segments of conversation while concentrating on my throbbing hand.  I admit, I've also been distracted after receiving a limp, half-hearted shake.   There has to be a happy medium - like Goldilocks finding the right chair - not too hard, not too soft, but "just right."  

So those of you who pride yourselves in having a really firm, strong handshake, please take note:  Without being obvious or condescending, please consider adjusting your grip when meeting seniors like me.  We'll not only secretly thank you, but we will also then be able to give you our full attention rather than being distracted by prolonged, piercing pain.

That's my sermon for the day.  It's very nice outside today - like yesterday - and last night's full moon was spectacular.  The sky seems to be absolutely cloudless, and the daytime temperature is more like July than September.  It's a good time to get lots of last-minute outside chores done - or just to sit in the sun and enjoy the last bit of summer.

Today is Homer and Margaret Fitts' fourth anniversary.  Their home address is 17 Country Way, Barre VT 05641, if you'd like to send a note.  Happy Anniversary, Homer and Margaret - one only needs to observe the two of you together to know how happy you are.  Keep piling up those happy years!


No comments:

Spring Weather/Good News

 Thank goodness we have a rainy day today! Yesterday was so nice I was outside probably more than my winter-weary body needed, so today I...