Thursday, July 11, 2013

How about this sunny (mostly) day?  It took a while for it to get going, but it sure is nice now!  Let's hope it stays a while and gets things dried out a little.

The wine tasting event, "Spirits of Vermont," was a big success, according to organizers.  They were pleased with the number of presenters there and with the attendance.  Henretta Splain, one of the organizers and a JPA member, sent me a batch of photos, so I've done a slide show.  Click on the link above.   It was at the JPA pavilion on Sunday, and the weather was pretty good, by the looks.  Thanks to Henretta for sending the pictures.

I need to get out to the garden to pick peas in a little while - before it begins to rain again.  I was surprised the other day when I went to get some lettuce and noticed the peas were right at prime.  I'd actually given up on them, thinking they were a lost cause this year.  One thing that has been able to grow abundantly this year is grass.  Farmers have had a hard time harvesting it unless they chopped it into a silo, I guess; we haven't had many good drying days.  Our lawn has needed mowing more than usual, and weeds in the gardens have flourished.  However, I feel fortunate we haven't been plagued by floods in our particular area.  There have been serious flash floods in other parts of the state, like in Williamstown, and a golf course had to be closed because of a sink-hole opening up.  We can't trust the ground we walk on any more with all that water rushing over and under it.

I think our back yard is relatively safe, so I'm going to go get those peas for supper.

No comments:

Regulations and Seasonal Changes

 The change to Vermont's boating regulations regarding wake boats went into effect on April 15. One of the new regulations I wasn't...