Wednesday, June 19, 2013

We had to be in St. Johnsbury today - appointment for Fred and errands for me.  We were there all morning and it was quite warm - warm enough so at one point we fired up the air conditioner in the car.  Once on the highway headed home, having the windows open was enough to keep the car cool, but it was really very warm in St. J.  When we got to West Danville, I stopped at the post office to pick up mail and commented on the nice day, Diane Jeger said, "Yes, a nice FALL day." I hadn't paid much attention to the temperature, but when I went back to the car, sure enough, there was a bite to the air that surely felt like fall!  I know it was the result of cold air straight out of Canada sweeping down the pond into West Danville - pretty normal, actually, and when combined with the added elevation compared to St. Johnsbury, temperatures at Joe's Pond are always considerably cooler than other places.  A blessing in hot weather, a curse in the winter, I suppose.  It was nice to see the sunshine, though.

Going through Danville, we have noticed on several occasions the row of lilacs at the veterinarian's just past Marty's 1st Stop.   At least, I think they are lilacs.  I got this picture of them today.  I was reminded of the lilac bush that was at the Gruggel camp at the narrows between the middle and third pond.  That bush had blossoms on it all summer long most years.  I don't know if it is still blooming there or not.  I haven't been down there in the summer lately, but we used to enjoy seeing it very much way after all the other lilacs had faded away.

 We are interested in seeing the final touches being put on the road through Danville, and especially how the Green is taking shape.  Today workers were planting trees along the roadside near the school.  I suppose there will be lots of young trees planted on the Green, too.  It is very bare now, having lost several big maples.  This picture shows the Green and the bandstand - noticeably bare of trees.

The islands spaced through town, designed to slow traffic, seem to be mostly finished except for any landscaping on them - I'm amazed they found room for them, two lanes of traffic and  sidewalks.  It's a little "busy" having so much detail on that stretch of road after years of seeing it just a two-lane strip of highway. 

The above picture is in front of Diamond Hill Store as we were heading west through the village.  I believe there is another island directly in front of the store.  I'm not sure how that will work for getting in and out of the store, but I'm sure it'll work out.  The same island is shown as we were heading east.  The curbs look very high, but I think that may be to allow for new paving before the job is finished.

There are more islands all the way through town, with breaks to let traffic turn off for Hill Street, onto the Peacham Road or to get to the library or businesses.  There is one-way traffic through town during the daytime hours, but no very long waits.  I think when the job is finished the town will look very "dressed up" and hopefully traffic will slow down and take in the beauty of the place.

I was very sad to find the obituary of Maurice Drown, Nate Drown's father, in the Caledonian today.  Mr. Drown has been a familiar visitor at the family camp on West Shore Road over the years, and he loved coming to Joe's Pond.  We always enjoyed talking with him, and we'll miss him.  Condolences may be sent to Nate and Sally and their family at:  2366 Shadow Lake Rd., Concord VT 05824.


No comments:

Spring Thoughts and Trials

 I heard the first frogs of the season on Tuesday. I was working on getting my porch set up ready for summer weather and realized there were...