Thursday, June 27, 2013

I'm happy to report we saw Jane Larrabee at the store today, and she's looks wonderful and said she's feeling great.  She told us the whole recent episode that landed her in the hospital began with pneumonia.  She's not on the mend and we certainly hope she continues to do well.

It's been another off and on rainy day.  Every time I decided things were dried out enough to go outside and try to get something done, either finishing the painting I started a couple months ago or working in the garden, before I could get out there it would begin to rain again.  Not a lot, but just enough to keep everything wet.  I finally gave up after lunch and began an inside project scanning a scrapbook recently donated to the Cabot Historical Society, and darned if the sun didn't come out - and it stayed out!  By then I was too involved in what I was doing to do more than dash out to pick some lettuce and spinach.  I didn't intend to stay out long, so I didn't put any insect repellent on and the black flies found me immediately, so I was out there even less than I'd expected to be.

I had a note from Diane Rossi today - she and her committee have the luminaries ready to distribute for the Fourth.  Here's what she wrote:

 We have luminaries for sale again this year, a dollar a bag and candle, to be placed about 10 ft. apart along the shore line on the 3rd of July just before the fireworks.  Rain date is Friday, July 5th....but we're pretending it won't be raining next week when it's time for the fireworks!  We have a couple of new sales people this year, and any of us would love to get calls about buying luminaries.  There is Pam Hebert (684-3655) on Brown Rd., Lynn Hamilton (563-2254) on Sandy Beach Rd., Cindy Rubulcaba (563-2785) on Barre Ave., and myself, Diane Rossi (563-6088) on West Shore Rd.  Hasting's Store also has a supply.  Our hope is to surround the pond with candle power (it really looks great) and make a few dollars for the association.  We're hoping to get a lot of support for our efforts this year.....and have a Happy Fourth of July!!! 

Let's make this Ring of Fire around the pond the most complete one ever.  If everyone purchases enough to set along their waterfront at 10 ft. apart, it will complete the Fireworks Celebration in grand style.  For those of you who don't know the history or may have forgotten, the first Ring of Fire was in 1979.  For a few years, there were no fireworks here at the pond and this was a way to celebrate the Fourth.  Fred and I went out in the canoe to enjoy them.  It was lovely, and while there were a few fireworks from some camps here and there, the evening was relatively quiet.

I heard the other day in "Dear Abby"someone wrote it would be nice to revive the tradition of ringing bells at 2 p.m. on July Fourth to commemorate the day.  I found references to bell ringing, but not much about President Kennedy having suggested it back in 1963 like the lady mentioned.  I can imagine it happening in 1776 - those colonists rang bells for all sorts of occasions, good and not so good, so no surprise there.  I think it would be an interesting switch, but I doubt very many people will stop whatever they're doing at 2 p.m. to go ring a bell.  However, if enough people were on hand in church belfries so church bells rang out in unison from town to town, I expect it would get some attention.  

Speaking of things patriotic, a few years ago a 45-star American flag was donated to the Cabot Historical Society.  The donor believed it was made between 1896, when Utah joined the Union and 1907 when Wyoming joined.  I put it in a frame this week and it will be on display at the Main Street museum on the Fourth. 

Keep safe during the next few days of extreme weather.  We're watching the weather closely hoping the rain clears out of here by the holiday.  I guess we can have fun even if it's raining, but fireworks don't adapt well to wet weather; and certainly not to the foggy conditions we've noted from time to time.  So do your sun dancing or whatever it takes, and let's think positive thoughts.

Someone told me today that old time Vermonters say you that whatever the weather is on the last Friday of the month predicts the weather for the coming month.  If that's the case, we may all want to get out our slickers, boots and umbrellas - and maybe build an ark. 

No comments:

Spring Thoughts and Trials

 I heard the first frogs of the season on Tuesday. I was working on getting my porch set up ready for summer weather and realized there were...