Wednesday, March 27, 2013

We are saddened to report the passing last Saturday of Margaret Hebert, mother of Dr. "Joe" Hebert of Old Homestead Road.  She was 92.  Mrs. Hebert lived in northern Maine, where she had been born and raised her family.  Part of a large, extended family, she will be dearly missed.  Her full obituary is here.  Our sincere condolences to Joe and Pam and their family. 

 Spring is moving along, but slowly here.  We had bright sunshine early in the day, but now the clouds have developed and it looks as if it might rain.  Or snow.  I'm seeing 40 degrees on the thermometer right now, but that may change.  I think the forecast is for snow overnight.  We're certainly not worried that the ice will be out before the contest closes on April 1st.  I haven't seen much evidence of melting going on even around the edges yet, although I'm sure in certain places it's beginning.  I know as soon as the sun gets higher in the ski the earth around us begins to warm up, so things are happening from the ground up, even if the air above is still pretty chilly. 

We think we saw a cedar waxwing in our small maple tree this morning.  We didn't get a good look at it, but it was gray and bigger than a chickadee.  When we hiked up Jamie & Marie's driveway, I heard a mourning dove calling up near their house.  I think they may still have a bird feeder out, and that may have been the attraction.  I'm sure they'll be getting the feeder in soon - those old mother bears are going to be waking up hungry and ill tempered very soon.  I've been watching for pussywillows and robins, but haven't sighted either yet.  Still, I can feel "spring" in the air . . . !

No comments:

Regulations and Seasonal Changes

 The change to Vermont's boating regulations regarding wake boats went into effect on April 15. One of the new regulations I wasn't...