Sunday, March 31, 2013

Here are some thoughts a blog reader had about the pending H.223 bill in our legislature:
 
I read H. 223 with interest, as well as the Caledonian article.  Several thoughts come to mind:
*I wish it didn't put all the responsibility on the Secretary (whoever that may be) but instead would have a committee  that deals with enforcement, education, etc.
*On the whole, I agree with the proposals.  We all know that there are septics that leak, phosphate run off into our lakes and streams, erosion from heavy rains on purely lawn shorelines, etc.  Buffers of low-growing shrubs are really helpful for all of these.  And it [buffers] helps keep the geese off the shoreline.
*Local rules vary so much with each town about shorelines.  I remember several years ago worrying about some land being sold up by wetlands, that the new owners would clear down to the shore, that they would build too close, etc.  I called the Town official and told her my concerns and asked what their rules were.  She informed me they didn't care what people did.  As far as she was concerned, they could fill it in if they wished.  So, it is really important to have guidelines, rules that are consistent for all.  It protects the quality of the water for everyone.
*I may be wrong, but the bill seemed to say that people who already had property with lawn down to the shoreline were allowed to keep that.  It is for new development.
*Along West Shore Road the property that to me has done the most sensitive and sensible treatment of shoreline is that big tan clapboard house with the metal green roof.  They have left a lot of the trees along the shoreline, have a perfectly good view, I am sure, and have several reasonable ways down to the water.  It is really well done.
Just my thoughts.
Happy Easter!!
HDM
 
We'd like to know how others feel about the H.223 bill, or the comments above, so send an email or simply post your comments below.  Please keep your response civil.  If you feel strongly about the bill, either for or against what it contains, don't hesitate to get in touch with your district's representative.

No comments:

Regulations and Seasonal Changes

 The change to Vermont's boating regulations regarding wake boats went into effect on April 15. One of the new regulations I wasn't...