Monday, February 11, 2013

We got a little more snow today!  I was surprised at lunch time when I looked out onto our deck where my snow gauge is.  There seemed to be a couple inches of snow captured in it. There was a fair amount of wind and we had snow squalls throughout the day, but I guess I thought most of the snow was moving horizontally and there wasn't that much actually landing on the ground.  I had measured 15 inches at my back yard stake at 9 a.m. today.   I'll check the stake again in the morning, and also will measure what's fallen on my snow board on the front deck.  Getting two measurements from different locations helps, especially when it's been windy and may have drifted in some places.  Measuring the snow is certainly not an exact science.  We are instructed to take measurements in several locations and then average it.  Most of the time the measurements I get in the two locations are just about the same, so I haven't ventured out with my yardstick yet this winter.  There have been winters when I did that regularly, and one winter in particular I had a hard time finding a way to get up over the snow banks, with or without my snowshoes, the banks were so high.  I finally shoveled steps up the bank at the end of our driveway.  I think I measured about four feet of snow that year.  I took a dishpan to empty the measuring tube into, and had to empty it three or four times to get down to grass.  The cylinder is about 14 inches tall and 4 inches across.

We enjoyed a bit of a warm-up today, but the wind made it feel colder than it was, especially with the snow blowing around.  Some areas are expecting rain - either tonight or tomorrow - but I expect we'll have snow instead.

There are some messages on Front Porch Forum I'm going to relay to you here, in case you haven't joined FPF:

 Skating Party! Feb. 17
Cabot Community -
There will be a Skating Party at the rink on the Cabot Commons this Sunday, February 17th, from 1:00 - 4:00. Please come join us, strap on a pair of skates (we have a crate full of extras for those who don't own their own pair), and have some fun. All levels of skating experience welcome - for those who need some assistance, we'll have some people available to help.
Anyone interested in bringing some warm/cold drinks, some snacks, or simply helping out, please let me know - you can contact me via email at ryhoffman4@yahoo.com.
Thanks -
Ry Hoffman
West Hill Pond Road
 #####

Town Meeting - Main St Project - Corrections

I need to correct some opinion statements made on Front Porch Forum regarding the 2013 Town Meeting Warning. The hearing to discuss Australian Ballot issues will be held on February 27, 2013 at 7pm. As always, I encourage people to attend and ask questions, or feel free to contact me directly at 917-2992 (cell). You can see the full content of the School and Town Meeting Warnings at www.cabotvt.us
Article 26 is a Plan amendment request from the UDAG Committee and was not suggested as a way to circumnavigate the SB's decision to ask the voter's opinion of the Main Street enhancement project. It is my understanding that UDAG has a vast array of economic and community development projects for their consideration and this change would allow UDAG to better meet those needs outside yearly grant requests approved at Town Meeting.
Article 28 is the request from the SB for voters to advise whether or not to continue looking at enhancements for Main Street. These enhancements may include curbing, lighting, tree planting, or none of these... It should be noted that the scoping study was a prerequisite to be eligible for grant funds for future enhancement projects. The study was a fresh look at the *possibilities* and, while the SB has the authority to decide whether to go forward, they're requesting voter input as to whether some of these additional improvements should be considered for our village.
This summer is going to see a bit of disruption to Main Street with the culvert project to help mitigate future flooding. In conjunction with the grant to cover most of that project expense, the Town has already received other grants to 1) pave the length of Main Street from the Creamery to the South Walden Road intersection, 2) replace portions of the sidewalk that were destroyed during flooding, and 3) install granite curbing to combat long term wear/erosion of the sidewalks. Also, a grant was received to replace a bridge on Mack Mountain Road. These grants are part of the Town’s continual cycle of paving and structure improvements.
Personally, it was my hope the Town would have applied for the enhancement grant in January to continue the sidewalk from the Miller house to the recreation field and place a couple radar signs for traffic entering the village.... This work would have been done this summer while the road was already being repaved.
I would encourage FPF bloggers to sit down and talk with the SB or me to really understand these project and future goals. Worse than not being informed, is being misinformed...
Tara
# # # # #

Bless You!

The posting that I did for a senior that is ill and in need of a lift recliner was so well received, thanks to your responses the senior will be having a chair, his family is so grateful, it will help them make him be more comfortable in his time of need. I cried with the responses knowing there are so many, kind, caring and loving people in our communities (and outside the communities). I had no idea what there were going to be for responses but I am so happy that I posted the need.
In saying that I am going to share information on another senior that myself and others have tried to help to no avail. If you can at all offer any help with his need would you please contact him. Any vehicle that runs and is not rusty would be wonderful as I know he gets very depressed about not having any luck. Following is his note:
My name is Dennis , I live in Marshfield Vt. and receive Meals on Wheels and sometimes attend Twin Valley Seniors. Rita Copeland and I were talking regarding a problem that I have been having regarding my vehicle. I have tried many different avenues to try and get help so I can have transportation to get to my physical therapy, doctors, etc. We thought someone may be able to help me so that I can be independent again and not have to rely on others, who are not always available when I need assistance.
I am 63 years old and have lost my right leg in May due to complications with Diabetes. I have to put a left foot pedal in my car.The cost for the pedal is $995.00, I have no money but was able to get a loan for $500.00 and my case manager helped me get the other half ($495.00) which I am forever grateful.
I had an appointment with Ride Away in Essex Junction, VT. in December to have my pedal put in my car. I had an appointment and when I got there they had to look at my car, when they were done they told me my car was too rusted to put a pedal in the car and needed a vehicle that did not have so much rust.
I am on social security and I have very little to live on now, I can't afford another loan to get a car.
Before I lost my leg I was driving students to the Barre Schools from Cabot. I not only need a car for my own use but would like to drive the students again to Barre from the Cabot. I live alone and driving students and getting out of my apartment makes me feel so much better by giving me the opportunity to have a social life.
The reason I am writing this email to you is to see if you could help me get a car that has little or no rust that I can have the pedal put in so that I may drive again. I have advertised for a donated car to no avail. My case manager has tried to help me as have my friends. I have explored all the channels I know with no luck. If someone has a car they could donate to help me out I would be willing for them to take my exisitng one which certainly has lots of rust.I have asked everone that I can think off, I can't afford a loan and live, I am saving the money to have the pedal installed into a car if I could get one.
I don't like to ask for help but I need it now, I hope you can help me out and I will aniouxsly await hearing from someone.
Thank you for your time and God Bless you.
Dennis 802-426-3006

No comments:

Regulations and Seasonal Changes

 The change to Vermont's boating regulations regarding wake boats went into effect on April 15. One of the new regulations I wasn't...