Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Seemed like spring today.  We had bright sunshine to start the day and temperatures got well above freezing, although with the south wind, there didn't seem to be much melting going on.  The weather people were talking about rain, but I don't believe we got any at all here at Joe's Pond.  We did have low hanging clouds most of the afternoon, but I don't believe any actual rain.  The temperature has slipped into the 20s now, and there's a skimming of new snow on our deck.  

I had intended to get out on snowshoes today to take a closer look at how our logging operation is going, but instead, I took a nap.  That happens from time to time - especially on dreary days.  I was inside all morning when it was nice, and then after the weather changed, I lost interest.  We've been doing inside painting, and for me that's strenuous work, going up and down ladders and whatever tool I need always seems to be down in the basement.  I'm inclined to be the "go-fer" on projects like this, mainly because I can usually find whatever we need quicker than Fred can.  That's because I'm constantly moving stuff around when he's not looking.  I have a need to tidy up other people's things.  My own office is a complete disaster, but I can usually find what I want, even in the piles of files and papers and other "stuff."  I would never let anyone else touch anything in my office, and I respect Fred's similar office space; but when it comes to the workbench we both use downstairs, drawers and closets, I reserve the right to organize.  Anyway, we now have most of our projects inside done, and the next good day, perhaps I'll have enough energy to get out on snowshoes.  In the meantime, I have other, smaller, less demanding projects to attend to.

Today I spent considerable time on the phone with a writer who is doing an article on the Joe's Pond Ice-Out Contest for Yankee Magazine.  She said it won't be published until 2014 - that's a lot of lead time, but good for us since this year is the first experience we'll have with our new clock, location, and web cams.  Jeff at Joe's Pond Country Store said tickets sales are picking up, so it looks as if this will be a good year.  All it takes is some warm weather to get people thinking about the ice melting.  We still have over a month to go, so if you haven't picked up your ticket(s) yet, there's still plenty of time.  I think Larry Rossi will be getting the flag out pretty soon now, and that will make the web cams a lot more interesting to watch.  I'll let you know as soon as the flag and pallet are all set.

No comments:

Regulations and Seasonal Changes

 The change to Vermont's boating regulations regarding wake boats went into effect on April 15. One of the new regulations I wasn't...