Monday, October 29, 2012

 I was awakened by an eerie rosy light streaming into our bedroom this morning. The sun was positioned in back of the White Mountains and just breaking through heavy clouds.  I knew I had only seconds to get a picture, so I dashed out on our deck in my night gown, bare feet and sleepy-eyed, to try to capture it.  I shot several pictures quickly and scampered inside when I heard a car coming up West Shore Road.  

Minutes later, Fred called to me saying there was a strange light in the living room.  The sky had changed from red to gold, and was again spectacular to watch.

We checked the web cams at Rossi's, but it was dark enough so the night vision element was still on, and that washes out the color, so it wasn't showing up like we were seeing it here.  Then I checked the webcam at Nubble Light, one of our favorite spots in York, Maine, and they were engulfed in fog.

A few minutes ago I got this gloomy shot, same location, same inappropriately dressed camera person, but a totally different take on what the day may have in store for us.  The clouds are thick and ominous.  There is a little breeze, and we're at 45 degrees.  Nothing very unusual happening, but we know there's more to come.

We've had a response from Green Mountain Power saying they've lowered the water level as much as the Public Service Board allows, so we're hoping we don't get tons of rain along with the wind that's expected.  Wherever you are today - some of you in the storm, perhaps, some expecting it, and others apart from it, be safe in whatever you're about.  By this afternoon we should be feeling at least some of the effects of the storm here.  High winds are predicted, coming at us from the east, 30-40 mph gusting to 60.  These are the instructions posted for our area from about 2 p.m. today to about noon Tuesday:
 



No comments:

Regulations and Seasonal Changes

 The change to Vermont's boating regulations regarding wake boats went into effect on April 15. One of the new regulations I wasn't...