Friday, May 18, 2012

I just read in the Caledonian Record that my friend, Betty Hatch, in Walden died.  Betty was 91.  I've known Betty for a number of years.  I first met her when I was associated with the Fall Foliage group.  We met at her house, and there Betty directed the meeting in that "take charge" manner she had that left no doubt she had been at this foliage business a long time and knew what worked and what didn't.  

I soon learned that Betty Hatch was the local historian.  She wrote about her town, covered events for the local papers, and published the Walden 200 newsletter. There seemed to be very little about Walden she didn't know, past or present, and many's the time I've called her for information or referred people looking for Walden information to her, and she usually knew the answers or knew where to find them.

I'll miss Betty Hatch, not only as a resource person, but also as a friend and down-to-earth character who called a spade a spade.  The community will miss her, too.  She was active in her church and served her town well.  And of course her family will miss her dearly.  Her passing leaves a large hole in our hearts and in the community.

No comments:

Regulations and Seasonal Changes

 The change to Vermont's boating regulations regarding wake boats went into effect on April 15. One of the new regulations I wasn't...