Monday, April 16, 2012

This nice note came from Dorothea Penar today. You will remember I mentioned the Penar's son, Geoffrey a little while back here on the blog, and there is an item about him in the JPA newsletter that I put in the mail today. Here is more on Geoffrey:

Geoffrey will be performing in Vermont this spring. First he will be a soloist with the North Country Chorus the first weekend in May. In June, he will be one of the emerging artists performing in the Green Mountain Opera festival. He will be in their main stage performance of La Bohme along with other concerts. Over 400 singers apply yearly to the Festival’s emerging artist program; Geoff is very honored to have been selected.

All information about the upcoming performances can be found on the North Country Chorus and Green Mountain Opera websites and on Geoff’s website. www.geoffreypenar.com

I went to Geoffrey's website and listened to some of his vocals - he has an amazing voice. We wish him every success possible in his chosen career.

We are having definite summer weather today. My thermometer went to 87.5 - and that was the one that's not in direct sunlight; it's now 81.5. It was truly too darned hot in the sun. I was outside for a little while, but I started to droop like a wet hankie. I saw Rachel Lewis on Sandy Beach Road and she said they came back a bit early to get out of the 80 degree heat - I think they brought it with them!

It's quite nice, though, but I've always thought it takes a little time to acclimate to heat after the cold of winter. The first few days of real summery weather always makes me tired. I suppose the fact I can't resist being outside and doing physical labor has something to do with that; as I get older I find I run out of steam a lot quicker than I used to. I worked in my garden a little while yesterday, and today pruned a tree and picked up some of the broken limbs around the edge of the lawn. I think we're due some rain tonight, and that will get lots of things started. Fred is saying he needs to get gas for the lawn mower - well, he won't need it right away, by any means, but it's good to think ahead. I like to remind him that we very well might have another snow storm before this month is over. This year has produced pretty whacky weather patterns so far.

Fred took this from the cemetery on the Plain - the sun had already slipped below the cloud bank, but it was still pretty. If you click on the picture, it will be larger and you will see more details.


No comments:

Update & Request

 Marti Talbot, Carolyn Hamilton's sister-in-law, emailed me this morning to thank everyone who has reached out to Carolyn while she'...