Saturday, April 21, 2012

The host for this blog, blogger.com, has "updated" and now I have to learn a whole bunch of new stuff and hunt for things in order to post.  I know I'll get used to it, but the old way was so convenient, and I could almost do it in the dark - actually lots of times I've been writing on the blog when I was half asleep, as you could probably tell by the spelling errors.  I tend to wait until late evening to write here.  I don't think you readers will see much difference, although it may load more quickly - and eventually I may do a redesign so it will look different.  First I need to master this part of it.

Like so many things these days, just when we get used to something, it changes.  It has happened with our automobiles, phones, televisions, computers, all kinds of kitchen equipment like dish washers, refrigerators, microwaves, stoves - they have dials and buttons and talk back to us.  I suppose people who live alone might  appreciate the conversation part of our modern gadgets and appliances, though.  Then there are the mechanisms that just simply don't work - no voice, bells or whistles to let you know you didn't get it right.  I ordered a jazzy indoor/outdoor thermometer a few months ago and no manner of setting and resetting could get that thing to show numbers correctly.  There were always one or two of those straight lines that form numbers missing.  I sent it back.  Then there is our new boiler.  It has more dials and settings than a locomotive and stubborn as a mule until everything is set exactly right - it reads the outside temperature and if it's too warm outside, it won't start up no matter how high you set the equally confusing programmable thermostat.  Used to be all I had to do was turn the 'stat up and the baseboards began to crackle as hot water coursed through them.  It could be 85 degrees outside and it still worked.  But not this beast.  It's super efficient, you see.  It has a setting for winter and a setting for summer; nothing for clammy damp spring. But Fred is learning how to manage it, and maybe he will be able to teach me, if I can tolerate the frustration of it all.  I don't have lots of patience with machines that are too complicated or don't work properly.

Speaking of machines, work is proceeding full tilt in Danville.  The Green is torn up and looks terrible, but I guess it has to happen if things are ever going to get put right again and the restoration plans executed.

We cruised right through without any wait at all.  Just happened to hit it right, probably.  It did seem as if there either wasn't much traffic in either direction, so perhaps summer vacation traffic will cause more of a problem. 
 
 The top picture was in front of the library.  There was a deep ditch and the road to Peacham was closed off.  In the next picture, they are continuing with ditching, and various parts of the Green had piles of dirt, big machines and pieces of culvert and various pipes piled up. 


The nice weather has changed, so that may slow things down a little on the construction.  In fact, we're told to expect some overnight snow - 2-3 inches I heard earlier this evening.  It is far different that the nice weather we've been having.  In spite of being very dry, the grass is greening up and the trees are all budded.  I even spotted some cherry blossoms when we were in Littleton the other day.  We noticed this couple enjoying the sunshine at the village landing in West Danville.  

 I've been working outside a lot this week and have been hearing the partridges drumming.  Spring is mating season for them, like lots of wild things, and flapping their wings against a fallen log is how partridges attract a mate.  As we were coming down West Shore Road after leaving Route 2, there was a partridge strutting across the road.  We had to slow to let him pass, and as he headed over the bank into the underbrush, he ruffled up nicely to have his picture taken. 

We'll have to wait to see if our world is white again tomorrow morning.  It may be a cruel trick to play on us after such a nice stretch of spring weather, but it is still April, so shouldn't be a big surprise.



No comments:

Update & Request

 Marti Talbot, Carolyn Hamilton's sister-in-law, emailed me this morning to thank everyone who has reached out to Carolyn while she'...