Tuesday, February 21, 2012

It's getting harder all the time to believe spring isn't already here. Today has been another very pleasant day with sunshine and mild temperatures. Even the crows think it's springtime! I counted 13 milling around on the road at the end of our driveway this weekend. It was a regular convention. Today a beautiful white rabbit crossed the road by our mailbox and I watched him bounding through the woods just inside the tree line beside our driveway. I've been seeing more rabbit tracks than usual this year, but this is the first actual bunny I've seen for quite a while. At least this one hadn't started to turn color, and I guess that indicates it's still winter.

I bet some of you didn't know there used to be more than just Cabot Creamery making cheese in Cabot. There used to be a cheese plant just about where Cabot Commons, the adult housing building is, above Willey Memorial Hall in Cabot Village. It was operated by Roman Kurz. My uncle, Bob Bolton, used to work there, and I remember how good their cheese was. Today I came across what I believe is part of a box used for shipping, perhaps, with their logo and information. It was in some of the papers I'm working on for the Cabot Historical Society. Mr. Kurz came from Bavaria, Germany in the late 1930's and worked first at Cabot Creamery, and then began making cheese - ricotta, mozzarella and cottage whole milk cheese. It was difficult for Mr. Kurz because he was German, and he was trying to grow the business during the World War II years. Not only that, I expect there was competition from Cabot Creamery. In 1948, Roman sold the business to his son, Robert, who eventually sold it to Vermont Cheese Products Company. In 1964, the factory closed and the equipment and building were auctioned. Cabot Farmers Co-op bought the building and began tearing it down; however before they finished, the building burned.

I also found this advertising gimmick from J. T. Drew, who had a store in Cabot years ago. It isn't large, about 2 inches wide and four inches long, and it's made of very heavy cardboard. The bottom half has grit for lighting matches. I don't have an exact date on this bit of advertising, but J. T. Drew was in business in 1890 in Cabot. (Picture below.)

Glenwood was a big name in stoves. I found this web site:
Glenwood Stoves

No comments:

Spring Thoughts and Trials

 I heard the first frogs of the season on Tuesday. I was working on getting my porch set up ready for summer weather and realized there were...