Sunday, January 29, 2012

We got a little more snow overnight and earlier this morning. Now the sky is brightening and the snow has stopped. I measured half an inch at 9 a.m., and I don't think we got much more after that.

I've had a couple of inquiries about snowmobiling, and about all I can tell people is that here at Joe's Pond we've had some activity - but not a lot - and judging from the lack of snow depth we noticed yesterday as we traveled west to the Barre-Montpelier area, I'd guess the snow is best in our area, Walden, Cabot, Marshfield, West Danville and Danville. South and east of us got snow from this last little "clipper," but not a lot.

I had a report yesterday on the ice and fishing at Joe's Pond. Bill Rossi called while we were away and left a message that he'd talked to a fisherman in front of their home and was told the ice is about a foot thick and the fishing is great. I thank Bill for the message. I looked back to last year on the blog, but didn't find any reference to ice thickness during January. I have to move on to other work this morning, so didn't spend any more time looking; I expect 12 inches is about normal compared to other years. I did notice one entry that mentioned there seemed to be more fishing shanties on the pond than usual, and we were thinking the same this year, but I guess that's normal, too.

I'm working on reproducing a very old book for children that is in our
Cabot Historical Society collection. It had belonged to Abby Osgood, a gift from her cousin, Priscilla Marsh. Abby was probably the daughter of Moses and Lucinda Osgood, but the records I have aren't clear about that. The little book was apparently published in London, probably in the very early 1800's. It has color lithographs and is a combination of linen and paper, in very bad condition, but I have been able to copy the pages and my hope is to produce a replica which we can put on display alongside the original, and because the original is too fragile to let the public handle, they will be able to see the lovely pictures and read most of the verse. This is one of the pages that is in better shape than most of them. My biggest disappointment is that the last page has only the picture - no print at all, so we'll never know the outcome of the story.
Unless, of course, I'm somehow able to locate another copy, which isn't likely. I've spent several hours searching the internet and find references to the Grandpapa Easy's series of children's books, but no actual copies or text information.

I must press on - spring will be here before I know it and I'll need to have the things I've been working on ready for display at the museum when we open.

I just looked outside and noticed it has started snowing lightly again. Should I cheer of grumble . . . ? I guess I'll cheer - I think our friends, Bill and Diane Rossi went skiing today and they will be very glad of any extra snow we get.

No comments:

Spring Thoughts and Trials

 I heard the first frogs of the season on Tuesday. I was working on getting my porch set up ready for summer weather and realized there were...