Sunday, August 28, 2011


Sometime during the morning, the top of our tree split. We aren't sure what kind of tree it is - it just "grew" next to our steps in the flower bed, and it offers such nice shade (and grows so rapidly) I haven't wanted to take it down. The top broke off once before - we thought Woody was climbing in it and broke it. He weighs about 14 lbs. and the branches are very brittle. Fred was all set to take it down as soon as the rain stops, but I think I'll keep it. I really don't like that it cuts off our view from the deck - and sometimes from the house - when it's all leaved out, but I like that it chose to live in my garden and I don't really want to destroy it.

We've had reports of power outages at neighbors' but other than that it just seems that there's a heck of a lot of rain and off and on wind. The storm is tracking further west than originally expected, so that seems to be giving us a break here at Joe's Pond, but there is still going to be very high water and lots of flooding near brooks and rivers. This picture above was taken at camp at about noon. Fred and Jamie were at camp at around noon to be sure everything was ok - it was, but the pond is high and right then being whipped by the wind.

I had 1.15 in. of rain in my gauge this morning at 9 a.m. - that is what fell from 9 a.m Sa
turday to this morning. I went out again at 1 p.m. and had another 1.05 in. in my gauge. I took a picture of my weather gauge about an hour ago, and when I checked it at 5 p.m., I had 2.71 inches in it. I am sending "significant weather" reports every four hours - the last one will probably be at 9 p.m. and then I'll read it at the regular time, 9 tomorrow morning.

No comments:

Regulations and Seasonal Changes

 The change to Vermont's boating regulations regarding wake boats went into effect on April 15. One of the new regulations I wasn't...