Sunday, June 26, 2011

We've endured another dreary day with numerous suggestions of sunshine that never materialized. It hasn't been cold, just overcast and damp. We had a slow fire in the wood stove yesterday, but today it wasn't really necessary except to maybe dry things out.

I've been working on the computer some today - a special project for the Cabot Alumni Association - and in between doing that and regular household stuff, did a little Joe's Pond Association stuff to get ready for the meeting next Saturday, and filed som
e newspaper clippings in the Cabot Historical Society albums. Good rainy day stuff.

On Saturday I delivered a JPA directory to a member on Old Homestead Road, and as I was going by the Allen's two cottages, I noticed this fence. I'm guessing no human hand has touched that fence in a while. In this kind of damp weather, some stuff grows like crazy.

Like on the north side of our house. We get mildew on the vinyl siding. Every year we scrub it off, but by the end of summer, it's back again, with a thin coating of dust that I imagine gives it a little nourishment. I don't know why we wait for a dry day to go out there and attack it - I'm sure it would come off just as well on a rainy, damp day. It's not a job either of us likes, so waiting for a sunny day is as good an excuse as we can come up with.

Someone recently inquired about the loons here at Joe's Pond. We have two chicks here on the big pond - Evelyn (Richer) distinguishes the resident loons as either the "Cabot Loons" or the "West Danville Loons." The two Cabot chicks are doing very well, and Evelyn told me today as far as they know the West Danville loons have not nested. She said it isn't too late, and we think if the water level stays somewhat stable they might, if they can find a likely spot for the nest. It is getting kind of late, though, and perhaps they've given up any thought of nesting this year.

Fred just came out of his "office" - he's taking another computer course, so has been studying, making good use of a rainy day - and I'm getting hungry, so I'll go out and get something for us to eat. We had lettuce and radishes from the garden at lunch - it's always so nice to bring our own produce in from the garden. I don't think I've ever seen as many snails as there are this year, though. I know they are going to be trouble. If it stops raining for a bit, I'll set some beer traps - but as long as it continues to rain every night, there's hardly any sense in doing that. I suppose their proliferation is due to the wet weather we've been having - and they really like the dried grass I spread between the plants. I may have to give up on that for this year. We'll see.

No comments:

Update & Request

 Marti Talbot, Carolyn Hamilton's sister-in-law, emailed me this morning to thank everyone who has reached out to Carolyn while she'...