Sunday, May 15, 2011

We've had a lot of rain today. I haven't measured it, but I saw Sam Lewis late this afternoon and he said it was up four inches or so by his calculations. We have another misplaced dock for you - Jack and Sue LaGue were out in their boat Friday and saw this one (all three pictures are the same dock) near the Lizer cottage on the south shore of the big pond. If this isn't yours, remember there's another dock at the Silloway camp on Island Drive. We had such diverse winds, up the pond, down the pond, across the pond - some days it was hard to tell where it was blowing from. I like to report wind direction when I make my CoCoRaHS report each morning, but some days it's impossible to tell what direction it's coming from. I've always thought it was on account of our house being sort of under a hill, but lately that isn't necessarily true. It truly does change quickly, and often there are very strong gusts as the direction changes. So anything floating could end up just about anywhere on the pond.

I guess I don't have to remind you to let us know if you have stray docks or furniture show up on your waterfront or if you are missing something. I'll post lost and found items here on the blog and Fred will post it on the web site home page.

Someone mentioned the other day that they read the blog but didn't realize there's also a website. At first I didn't understand that - my thinking was that you get to the blog from home page. But that isn't necessary. All one has to do is Google "Joe's Pond blog" and darned if it doesn't show up. I did it and there was a whole bunch of links. Stuff I'd even forgotten I'd written about. But I'm going to tell you anyway because there's lots of other stuff there, like where to find people to do things like open camp, mow lawns, do repairs, plumbing, etc., rentals, and other information - the web site is: www.joespondvermont.com

Did I tell you Pam Heffernan is our latest year 'rounder? Pam expected to move into her renovated home on North Shore Road this weekend. It has been a long-time dream of Pam's to live here, and now she's finally going to realize that dream. She said she's looking forward to cross country skiing next winter, and of course kayaking this summer. Pam grew up coming to Joe's Pond with her parents, Wesley and Winona Calderwood, and now her children and grandchildren enjoy coming to the pond, too. I'm sure Pam will love living here. There is an ever growing community of year 'rounders.

Pleasant as most winters are, by the time April rolls around, most of us are pretty tired of snow and cold; and then mud season starts, so that gives us a whole new perspective. The Rossi's were saying mud season is a great time to travel - away from here. Now that everything is turning green and lush, it's a great time to be here - just be sure you have bug repellant handy because the black flies are here, too.

Also here are the humming birds. I was sitting here at my computer on Saturday morning and one came to the window. It was almost as if he waited until he was sure I had noticed him before he flew off. Fred filled the feeder and hung it in the usual place and we're enjoying watching at least two of the little creatures so far. I was on the deck this morning and got buzzed by one. They swoop in so fast and with that loud burrrrrrring of their wings like a giant bumble bee, I always duck. I don't suppose they would attack, but with beaks like that, I'm not taking any chances. I expect he was just saying "thank you for sweet filling station."

No comments:

Spring Thoughts and Trials

 I heard the first frogs of the season on Tuesday. I was working on getting my porch set up ready for summer weather and realized there were...