Monday, May 16, 2011

We're sitting under clouds again today, but not much rain. Just a few sprinkles. It has been in the 50s most of the day - great weather for the grass to grow, and it's too wet to cut it! I measured another .80 in. of rain this morning, and I fully intended to walk down to Walter Ruf's to see if the water level has come up more, but then I got very busy with other stuff around the house and never got my walk in. Now it's beginning to sprinkle again - and it's almost time to eat. (Pictures taken yesterday, but nothing has changed today. Both are middle pond.)

We got a message today indicating Walter Ruf and his
sister, Mimi, are headed up from Florida. Walter goes off line for the summer, but he keeps in touch during the winter.

I had an interesting call today from Ken Hoeppner, a representative of the Rail Trail. He told me things are beginning to move again in the process of getting the old railroad bed transformed into a walking/biking path. A lot of our Joe's Pond residents use it already, but along the route there are a lot of improvements needed, and north of Joe's Pond there are still some problems getting permission from land owners. Mr. Hoeppner said Phase 1 work will begin in St. Johnsbury and come towards Joe's Pond. If I understood correctly, the first phase is 41 miles. Phase 2 will cover 60 miles, and in spite of some protests still going on, he said that things are in better shape now, with the governor and others backing the project. We'll no doubt be hearing more about all of that as time goes on.

We put a new business card on the website today - an animal "sitter" some of you probably already know. Her name is Karen Hauserman, and she is in Danville. Here's what she told me: (You'll find her business card on the website at Local Services, bottom of first column.)

There are several dog sitters in the area, but I do believe that I am the only one with pet sitters insurance.  This is my only occupation other than being wife and mom to my family and volunteering at the Danville School.  It has been a
wonderful business and I love it. I meet the nicest people and pets! One
of my clients has me bring my boys (9 and 11) with me when I stay at her
house because her dog loves children. I occasionally sit for people with
livestock, chickens, sheep, goats...even someone with a pet shark (a small
one) and lots of cats and dogs of all shapes and sizes which makes it all
very interesting! I am also trained to give injections and pills as I had a
cat with diabetes who required two shots a day.


No comments:

Spring Thoughts and Trials

 I heard the first frogs of the season on Tuesday. I was working on getting my porch set up ready for summer weather and realized there were...