Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Another snowy day. It isn't very cold - 30 to 32 degrees most of the day, but it feels raw and the snow has been unrelenting. I measured 3.5 in. this morning at 9 a.m., and we have had another inch or two, but some of that has melted. Not a pretty day, by any measure.

I've been working on the Joe's Pond Association newsletter, getting ads and information together so it will be ready to print as soon as we have an Ice-Out Contest winner. I was a little surprised when I realized this morning we have only a little over a week left that we can accept tickets - nine days, to be exact. With all the snow and the only sign of spring to date being muddy roads, people aren't thinking about when the ice will go out - more like when the heck will winter quit?!

Our ticket supply is getting lower, but you can still print tickets from the website and send them to us, but be sure the postmark is on or before April 1st. You'll also find on the website a list of places that have tickets to distribute in this area; or contact me and I'll send you tickets (if I have any left). With only 16-18 inches of ice left, there could be an early ice out again this year, I guess, in spite of the snow. Any ice shanty's on the pond have to be off this coming Sunday, so I expect Ray Richer will have our flag out then - and not a bit too soon, either. I always worry about him going out there if the ice is getting too thin. Like last year. I was very concerned. Ray knows what he's doing and doesn't take unnecessary chances, so I'm sure everything will be ok - but I'm going to get in touch with Evelyn and see if everything is "go" for the flag to get put out.

I received the following notice this afternoon:

On Monday evening, March 28th at 6 PM at the Willey Building, the Planning Commission will host a public work session on the Facilities, Utilities and Services section of the Town Plan. This section covers all aspects of community life, from Town government and the Cabot School to water supply, health services, solid waste, recreation facilities, etc. If you want to learn more about Cabot's existing facilities and services, or have suggestions for improvements, this is the work session for you!
This is the sixth scheduled public work session covering different topics included in the 2011 Cabot Town Plan.

Light refreshments will be served.

A hard copy of the preliminary draft of the Facilities, Utilities and Services section is available for review at the Town Clerk’s office, or return e-mail to request the document in pdf format.


If the weather and roads allow, this may be an interesting work session to attend. There's no doubt our town has changed in the past 10 years or so. I'm amazed at how many homes there are tucked into the woods all along our back roads. I was also amazed at how many innovative people and products were at the Maple Festival in Cabot last Saturday. Everything from art to Zen - well sort of. There was home-made granola that was delicious, very interesting art from recycled materials, home-made lotions and salves and balms that are really nice, plus all sorts of hand-sewn, hand knit, hand crafted items to choose from - and all made by Cabot people. Really interesting. Then, of course there were things like maple syrup making, iron working, chainsaw carvings - big, important stuff going on by a different sort of craftsman. It reminded me of how people here lived in the 1700s when they absolutely had to depend on their own knowledge and ingenuity to survive. I was impressed by what my neighbors are producing these days. And I'm sure what I saw displayed at the Cabot gym last Saturday was only a sampling of what's out there, and not only in Cabot, Walden, Danville and Marshfield, but throughout Vermont.

By the way, I heard today from the historical society president, Bonnie Dannenberg that the Martha Stewart Show had called wanting to shoot some film by the old restored West Hill School House. They called from NYC wondering if we still had some snow here . . . I just hope they come prepared for the snow and the mud.

No comments:

Regulations and Seasonal Changes

 The change to Vermont's boating regulations regarding wake boats went into effect on April 15. One of the new regulations I wasn't...