Saturday, February 26, 2011










We haven't had much more snow yet today, just a flurry or two, but it is looking like we could get more tonight. My thermometer is reading 20 degrees - I think it's stuck there. When I was out at about noon, the wind was bitterly cold, right out of the north. The picture above is the back of our house where Fred snowshoed up into the woods this morning. You can see his wood piles are nearly out of sight after the 10 inches of snow from this last storm.

Fred and Jamie were going to take care of the remains of the deer that was killed a few days ago in the woods near our house, but when Fred went up to do it, Jamie was stuck where he was plowing his yard with "The Peach" to make room for more snow. He went a little too far into the snow and dropped over the edge of the frozen ground where he'd plowed previously, and that got him lodged with the plow on the front not helping. They finally called Luke Persons to come with his rig and get The Peach out of trouble. By the time they'd finished all of that, they lost interest in the deer carcass.

I made a short slide show of the retrieval of The Peach. I have to say, it's usually Jamie that is rescuing someone, but getting stuck in the snow can happen even to the dyed-in-the-wool-Vermonters. Then is when we're really glad to have good friends and neighbors to help. Stuck in a snowbank

Fred got some pictures of the remains - I won't post all because it's pretty gruesome. However, this happens all the time in the deep woods - it's just the nature of things. This time it happened close to our houses, so we'll need to take care of it. It's amazing that in the space of only a couple of days just about all of that whole adult deer is gone. There are still some remains, but animals will probably clean that up in the next few days. Anything that's left, we'll take care of later. You can see that there are plenty of tracks even though we had almost 10 inches of snow yesterday.

After a very busy day for road crews and emergency crews yesterday, today has been absolutely quiet. I haven't heard a call all afternoon. They are no doubt taking advantage of the lull before more storm hits. I think it's going to be really cold tonight and then maybe more snow. I don't really know - I'm tired of hearing the same weather reports all the time. I'm waiting for a forecast of rain and temperatures in the 50's and 60's . . .

No comments:

Spring Weather/Good News

 Thank goodness we have a rainy day today! Yesterday was so nice I was outside probably more than my winter-weary body needed, so today I...