Thursday, February 17, 2011

I have been hearing from our JPA members in response to an email I sent reminding them to get their Ice-Out tickets to me before April 1. Activity for the contest is beginning to increase, and that's good news. Perhaps our winner this year will get more than the $5,000 last year's winner received. It all depends on how many tickets we sell, of course. We always try to keep expenses down, and the way we operate, we don't have a lot of expenses, just for some postage for sending out tickets and of course, printing. We depend on free advertising, mostly word-of-mouth.

Here's a note I had from Charles and Alice Aime, our summer neighbors on W. Shore Road:
Jane, hope you and Fred keep warm and enjoy the beautiful winter scenery around Joes pond. The weather here in Ft. Myers, Florida is great, sunny and warm. Love Joes in the summer but do not miss it in the winter. Have a great day!!! Charles

On a day like we've had today, I don't envy our Florida friends all that much - but come the weekend, I'll probably change my tune.

When we went to St. Johnsbury today, we found things humming nearly everywhere. Starting out in West Danville, there was a truck inspection stop in the parking lot opposite the stores. There were two logging trucks there when we first stopped to get the mail, then a third came along and another truck with some kind of tubs loaded on it came in and had to park at one side - it was still there when we came back a couple hours later. There was also snow clearing going on - much needed, as you can see in the pictures.

Then, we had to wait in Danville for a big truck with a huge piece of wind tower aboard. It was stopped coming up the grade into town and had a hard time getting going again - that's a really big section and must weigh an enormous amount. Further down the road we met another big section. I think they are on their way to Ohio from Maine or something. This route is the best way to haul them - other routes apparently have more hills, corners, bridges, or whatever that a load that size can't navigate.

In St. Johnsbury, we stopped at St. Johnsbury Animal Hospital to pick up kitty food for Woody, and I watched that enormous St. Bernard, I guess it was, drooling all the time, its owner apparently inside at the vet's. Fred said maybe they were working on this big guy's twin . . . but I don't think there would have been room for two like him in that little truck. I could see in the back seat a yellow jacket like firemen usually wear, and thought I could make you part of the word "Lunenburg" - but I may have been wrong.

Everyone seemed happy to have the sun out and temperatures in the mid to high 40's. Water was running, we got the car washed, it felt a lot like spring, and gave us all a big lift. We saw the Berwicks, from Peacham and Joe's Pond in White Market, and our neighbor, Cecil Metcalf. Everyone was talking abut the weather being so nice. We'll enjoy it while it's here, for tomorrow it begins to go foul again. Here's a slide show of our journey this morning. slides



No comments:

Spring Weather/Good News

 Thank goodness we have a rainy day today! Yesterday was so nice I was outside probably more than my winter-weary body needed, so today I...