Monday, February 14, 2011

I don't have the answer to my sap spout question yet, but Ruth (Goodrich) sent me some really nice pictures to go on my maple page. She said she'll get back to me on the spout. In the meantime, I will get to work with the photos Ruth sent.

We've had wild weather swings today. It started off fairly bright, then clouded in and the temperature actually got up to around 40 degrees. This afternoon it began to rain, and now the temperature is going down again - I guess it's going to slide back to the zero or below mark. Again. Lots of wind.

I measured our total snow depth today, and found it's compacted some since last week, even though we've had quite a few inches of new snow. Last week I measured 29 inches, and this morning I got a measurement of 26 inches, but there was about 3/4 in. more water content today, so all that snow we've had is in there, but settling every day and especially today with warm temps and rain. I got my measurements before the rain began.

We went for breakfast to Miss Lyndonville Diner (picture at right) with Bill and Diane Rossi this morning. It was fun - they know the folks at the diner well because they stop there on their way to Burke when they go skiing. We stopped at the White Market just down the road from the diner - wow! that is a big store! We hadn't been in there for some time and were surprised at how large and nice it is. The Bona family owns two stores in Lyndonville and one in St. Johnsbury, and they are going to remodel the St. Johnsbury store soon. I don't know if they have room to actually expand the building, but perhaps there is space now used for storage, etc., that can be incorporated into the store area. It will be interesting to see how it develops. That's us heading out - Fred and his camera going in another direction.










While the rest of us were in the market, Fred went to check out the Agway store. He found a couple of cute cats there. I didn't know until he brought back a picture, the Lyndon Dog Pound is in the same area. He didn't go into the pound - Woody is enough pet for us, so we're not interested in more animals right now. It's always dangerous to go into a place like that unless you really want a pet. All those sad looks - makes you want to bring them all home.

Diane left off some Ice Out tickets at Marty's, and we're beginning to notice more ticket action. Once we get into March there will begin to be more interest in when the ice will go out. With such warm temperatures today, perhaps people will begin to think SPRING! It sure felt good to have it milder today. Good for making snow sculptures. It's going to be hard to go back to below zero weather tonight, though.


No comments:

Spring Weather/Good News

 Thank goodness we have a rainy day today! Yesterday was so nice I was outside probably more than my winter-weary body needed, so today I...