Tuesday, October 26, 2010


We have interesting weather today. Actually, there isn't much "weather" but what is interesting is that the temperature is about 58 degrees, there's sunshine out there but we have pretty dense fog rolling up the valleys and from time to time obscuring the sun. Earlier this morning when I took the precipitation reading (.26 in.) we had bright sunshine, but now it's more like bright fog. I took this picture looking across the pond from our living room window earlier, and then a few minutes ago took another looking directly at the sun. Before the day is over, I imagine the sun will win out and we may have a sunny day for a few hours, at least.

Yesterday I missed a nice picture of a deer in our yard. The apples are gone under the big tree, but there are lots of them under the crab apple and I think she intended to sample them, but just as I was ready to take the picture, something spooked her and she ran down across the road before I could focus. Then I saw a runner chugging up the road, so I expect he was what scared her away. She was big and looked very healthy.

I've been busy scanning old documents and have found some interesting stuff. It was common for people to keep an inventory of their belongings. I suppose some did it to keep track of things while others did it to establish a personal worth. Most of the ones I'm finding were done to settle estates after a person died.

Here are some items on one done probably in the late 1700's - this is part of another document which I believe belonged to William Osgood (1733-1801). Click to make the picture larger.

I hope soon to have all these pieces of documents in order and available for people to look through. The originals are too fragile to handle, so only the copies will be available for the public.


No comments:

Spring Thoughts and Trials

 I heard the first frogs of the season on Tuesday. I was working on getting my porch set up ready for summer weather and realized there were...