Friday, October 22, 2010

I just received this note from Liz Sargent about her mom, Lucia Pearl.

Thought you all might like to know of another mishap in the Pearl Family...it's time for luck to change here!!
Friday, Oct 8, Mom was outside in the rain trying to pull up a tomato plant - a naughty girl was she! (She doesn't even like to garden!) The plant got the better of her and she landed on her right hip and broke it!! She's at NVRH here in St. Johnsbury, had surgery Oct. 10, then got full blown hospital pneumonia! Peg and I had some scary days, but she seems to be on the mend now; it's going to be a long, slow process. She will be in the hospital for another couple of weeks and then we hope to bring her home with some caregivers.
She can bear weight on that leg but isn't able to really pick it up, but improves each day a little with her PT. She is getting wonderful care and they like her so that is good.
Monday, Oct. 11, I already had right shoulder rotator cuff surgery planned, so went ahead with it. Am in the sling and trying to be a left-handed person which doesn't come easily! In fact, it's a comic show watching me eat with my left hand!
Mom and I were on the same floor for one night as that is all I had to stay in for. Would that classify as a pajama party but without the fun!!? Peg and I are able to visit several times a day, take care of her bills, mail, and simple needs. Plus it means I am keeping my shoulder quiet by sitting with her!! Today, Oct. 22, seemed to be a very good day. Her spirits are pretty good considering and she's trying hard to do all they want her to do and is eating well.
This is such a sad set-back for Mom who was enjoying her home and independence!
Hope all is well with all of you! -Liz
Pearl Island at Joe's Pond and Jamieson Rd, Danville, VT


Fred and I saw Lucia in White Market a few weeks ago and she looked very well. We had a nice chat and it was really good to see her so chipper. We are so sorry this has happened, and wish her a really speedy recovery.

No comments:

Spring Thoughts and Trials

 I heard the first frogs of the season on Tuesday. I was working on getting my porch set up ready for summer weather and realized there were...