Friday, October 01, 2010

Happy October 1st! Lots of rain still falling here. My garden isn't looking so good. The paths between the raised beds are awash and some of my tomatoes were knocked off the vines. We are expecting a hard frost Saturday night, so I think I know what we'll be doing Saturday - it's time to bring in whatever's left in the garden and hang it up for another year.

I measured 2.97 in. of rain in my gauge this morning. Combined with the 1.25 in. from yesterday morning, that makes a total of 4.22 in. for this storm - so far. Other places around us are measuring about the same, with some a bit more, and in the St. Johnsbury/Lyndonville area there are a number of school closings. I checked with Walter Ruf this morning and he says the water level is up 4-5 inches, which isn't bad, but with all the water pouring off the hillsides, it may get higher.

While we were chatting, Walter saw what he thought was the loon nest floating out in the middle of the pond, but a quick check with Evelyn Richer indicates both nests are intact and she said it's probably a piece of the marsh floating, as often happens when the water gets too high.

I'm listening to the scanner and hearing the road crews are trying to keep culverts from washing out, but the flow of water is just too much for some of them and there are some washouts. There were reports of power outages in some areas, too. The wind was very strong last night and even yesterday afternoon we watched the leaves being stripped off the trees around our house. In more open areas, I'm sure the foliage took a real beating. What's left will be vivid after the rain has washed them off and if the sun comes out. There are some small trees or branches in the road along West Shore Road, but vehicles can get through ok. Drivers should be aware there may be unexpected obstacles in the roads, though.

I may have to go to Cabot Village this afternoon, so I'll have more to report then, perhaps.

No comments:

Good News!

 I just heard from Marti Talbot that Carolyn Hamilton is moving to rehab. I will have more information later with an address where friends c...