Saturday, August 28, 2010

I just posted my CoCoRaHS reading a few minutes ago (I reported a "trace" of precipitation since there was significant water in the gauge - probably mostly condensation due to the low temperatures last night) and then noticed I had a newsletter from Nolan, the director of the program in Colorado. This bit caught my attention:

As the humidity decreases and the daylength shortens noticeable, we're
beginning to see some very large diurnal (day to night) cycles in
temperature. Yesterday up in the North Platte valley near Walden, CO
(elevation around 8,000 feet above sea level) the daytime temperatures
rose into the 80s but then dropped overnight down into the 20s only to
rise again up to 80F today -- an impressive 60 degree swing in
temperatures. I don't think that ever happens in areas close to the
coasts or down at lower elevations.
That does happen here, but not such a large swing as they get in the mountains. I will begin to watch highs and lows and may begin to report them, just for the sport of it. I don't have one of those neat rigs that make a record so I wouldn't need to check the thermometer as often, but I guess taking readings around midnight and noon should be adequate. I'm sure last night got pretty near the 40's, and if we hit 80 today as the forecasters are saying could happen, we're getting a pretty darn good variation here in the Green Mountains. I'm really glad we haven't headed into the 20's yet, though.

If any of you are interested in reading about the nation-wide volunteer reporting system called CoCoRaHS, you can go to this site:
CoCoRahs.org
You'll find Nolan Doesken's The Catch, a monthly newsletter there and lots of information, including reports for Vermont, mine included (VT-WS-12).

No comments:

Spring and Reminders

This has been a busy weekend for me. I think the nice weather brought out not only the buds on trees and flowers, but it energized people. I...