Sunday, May 30, 2010


I have a few things to share with you tonight. First, Fred and I went to the pancake breakfast the Cabot Fire Department put on this morning. One of our neighbors, Elizabeth, went with us, and we all enjoyed it. The food was really good and we were treated to some really good maple syrup for the pancakes. I had bacon and eggs first, thinking I'd skip the pancakes, but when the other two were raving about how good they were I went back and got a couple, too. I wasn't disappointed. It was an all-you-can-eat breakfast, but the servers gave you the amount you asked for and I really liked that. I hate getting more than I really want.

We met some nice people at our table, too. Two were long-time Cabot residents and two described themselves as "weekenders for the time being," and hailed from Shirley, Massachusetts. We saw other folks we knew, of course, so it was lots of fun.

This message came today from someone whom I haven't met but who reads the blog.

Hi Jane, I live in Duxbury but was passing through Danville early this morning and stopped at the new bakery/cafe. Wow, you were right. The owners are very nice, the place is spacious and pretty with plants, paintings, & photos, and the food is heavenly. I bought 3 things, but it was hard to choose as everything tempted me. : ) I told Nancy about your flattering comments from your first visit there and how you'd written about them in your blogs. She remembered meeting you and the pictures you took and was happy to hear you'd told others about them. I wanted to mention that I enjoy reading your blogs. Enjoy the summer! Mary

Thank you, Mary, for your note. I'm glad you tried the new bakery, and also that you read the blog. It's always fun to hear from people I don't know who have happened onto our web site. Makes the world seem a bit smaller, somehow.

Today was a perfect day to work outside. There was a strong wind most of the day that not only kept it cool, but kept the black flies from bothering so much. I got most of my garden finished - after Fred dug out some really troublesome rocks for me. I wanted to plant my parsnips and when I began loosening the soil, my fork went only about six inches down before striking stones. I pulled out some, but there seemed to be many more. Fred dug out a bunch down to what seems to be a really big one. I suspect these were rocks dug out when my father dug the foundation for our house and because they needed to fill that area for drainage purposes and to make it level, all the loose stones were dumped there and covered with topsoil. The rest of the garden has plenty of depth with no stones, but I'd already planted that and this corner was about all I had left for parsnips. Since they need about a foot of well worked soil to grow in, six inches wasn't going to work. Now they have the space they need, I think, and the earth worms are back at work after being momentarily disturbed. Now if we could have a gentle rain . . .
maybe after tomorrow when everyone has to be back at work.

Here's one more thing I had in my e-mail today, and this is important for people in the Town of Cabot to do. It's a survey from the Planning Commission. I just glanced at it tonight, but will do it later. It looks as if it may take a bit of time. Take a look.

Cabot Planning Commission Survey
The Planning commission has set up a web survey to gauge public opinion on what residents are looking for in their town's growth.

The link below will bring you to the survey where you can easily answer some questions helpful to the commission. The survey is open until June 30.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/cabotplanning





No comments:

Regulations and Seasonal Changes

 The change to Vermont's boating regulations regarding wake boats went into effect on April 15. One of the new regulations I wasn't...