Friday, April 30, 2010

We sure got rid of a lot of snow today. It was very nice, in spite of the wind, and the snow is almost gone. You can see there's a big difference in the amount of snow across the pond on Rt. 15, as well as here on our lawn. I think the grass looks much greener than it did before the snow came. One of the gardeners on WCAX was explaining that the old saying about snow being the poor man's fertilizer is sort of true. It seems it has something to do with there being a lot of acid rain type stuff collected in the snow and when it falls on ground that isn't frozen, that allows it to seep into the ground releasing the nitrogen which lawns and gardens need. Or something like that. I may have it slightly off, but the bottom line is that a late spring snow fall isn't altogether bad news.

I took some pictures of my daffodils this afternoon. They are pretty forlorn. Some have the blossoms broken off, but most are just flattened. The tulips around the corner from these daffies look pretty perky, though. I don't have many of them - usually the moles eat the bulbs. I finally planted some next to the house and they seem to be surviving.

I had an e-mail from Homer today asking if we'd noticed the pontoon boat at the dock at Point Comfort. We had - the top was crushed by the weight of the snow. We intended to get a picture, but have now gone by at least twice and each time forgot to do it. Homer said his pontoon boat isn't in the water yet, but it took some damage, too. He hopes to get it in Saturday. All that snow on top of any boat could be a problem, I would think. If not covered, that's a lot of weight and with the wind whipping the waves plus the snow melting could easily sink a boat, and if it was covered, the cover would almost surely suffer damage. I don't think very many people had their boats in the water, although we did see that Jack LaGue's is tied up at his dock. Perhaps he put it in the water after the snow storm.

This is what's left along our driveway, wrapped around our clump of small birches. They were bent to the ground under the weight of the snow, but as soon as Fred dumped the snow off them, they popped back up. Birches are inclined to bend easily, and sometimes don't straighten up, so I'm always relieved when they recover. We often see birches and young maple trees bent double in the woods. I guess that's because nobody was there to release them from the snow.

This should be a fairly good weekend to work outside - Saturday will be the best day. Unfortunately, the forecast has changed a bit and now we're hearing there will be showers and possible thunder storms on Sunday, especially in the afternoon, which is not good news for our planned gathering at 1 o'clock to present the Ice-Out winner his check. We won't have to be out there lon
g, and the temperature is expected to be in the high 60's or low 70's, so it shouldn't be uncomfortable, even if there's a shower. See you there, I hope!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jane,

Actually my boad went in last weekend (April 24th) and I covered with when I left on Monday. I wasn't able to get up to Joe's before or during the snow to tend to it. I was fully prepared for the cover to be trashed from the weight of the snow (which Tom indicated was about 18" on the patio table on his deck) but when I arrived on Friday afternoon was pleasantly surprised to see the cover was intact with no damage. Lucky I guess.

Jack

Regulations and Seasonal Changes

 The change to Vermont's boating regulations regarding wake boats went into effect on April 15. One of the new regulations I wasn't...