Tuesday, November 24, 2009

We have another very nice day. I think that's about to change, but we're enjoying it for now, anyway. I've been baking today, getting a start on Thanksgiving preparations. Fred and Bill (Rossi) went to Bothfeld's to pick up Bill's turkey. We already have ours.

We are having a small group this year, but somehow I sti
ll go through just about the same routine, no matter how many there are. The only real difference is the size of the turkey. This year I considered roasting just a turkey breast, but somehow that didn't quite do it for me. I like to see the whole bird roasting in the oven, and I like stuffing cooked IN the turkey, not made separately. I made cranberry sauce this morning, too, and banana bread. Once I have the oven going and the flour, sugar and seasonings out, I kind of just keep going.

You can see the big refrigerator truck in the above photo. That is where turkeys are kept cold until picked up. The smaller truck was picking up a lot of turkeys to give to their employees, Fred said. That's Raymon Bothfeld giving Bill Rossi his turkey. Raymon is the fourth generation on the farm, his father, Walter Jr. "Skip" and his grandfather Walter Sr. were out delivering turkeys, he said. I wonder, after raising, slaughtering and processing all those turkeys - does the Bothfeld family have turkey on Thanksgiving? After all that, maybe it's pizza or hamburgers.

On a different subject, there is a bit of news on the rail trail. According to a piece in the Caledonian Record today, there probably will be more delay while the court looks at problems many abutting land owners along the way are concerned about. Some of them have homes that are very close to the proposed trail; there are several properties that are divided by the trail; and there are environmental as well as safety concerns. It looks as if nothing is going to move until all of these concerns are addressed and satisfied. About a dozen people have already filed concerns, and more are expected to before the court schedules a hearing.

The Rt. 2 project through Danville is supposedly on schedule still to
begin next summer. There are some issues that need to be decided by the town's select board regarding cross walks and side walks, but the State expects to be ready to go by August. I don't know what that will do to the two big fall events, Danville Fair and Autumn on the Green, but I imagine some provision will need to be made there.


No comments:

Update & Request

 Marti Talbot, Carolyn Hamilton's sister-in-law, emailed me this morning to thank everyone who has reached out to Carolyn while she'...