Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Today we had weather that was much closer to what we'd expect late October to be. It was relatively warm, just right for working outside, and while there wasn't much sunshine here at Joe's Pond, folks could get out and enjoy what's left of the foliage. Not many leaves still on the trees, but it's nice to shuffle through them on the ground.

I went to the Stepping Stone Spa and Wellness Center in Lyndonville yesterday for a massage. It was the first time I'd been there, and I was impressed with not only the location - the rural setting alone is relaxing, and with the attention of the staff, I felt really pampered. I always like the audio effects in these places - the softly chirping birds, the babbling brook, the non-music. I have to admit, generally I prefer being able to recognize a tune, or at least a pattern; there's no way anyone's going to hum along with the new-age sounds that imitate ancient instruments from Tibet or some other mysterious place, but it is calming. The relaxation music doesn't mess with your head - it's just there, and lets one drift. No melody, no familiar lyrics; mindless, transporting sound.

Anyway, my massage therapist was Nancy Feltus, and I have to say, she was good. I like a deep tissue massage - I figure since I only do this sort of thing once in a long while, I may as well get some real benefit. I told her about my bum shoulder, hoping she'd take it easy on it. I hesitated to mention the shoulder because I once had a really sore heel and the massage therapist that time singled it out and really hurt me. Nancy did some stretches on my shoulder and found just the right pressure points without hurting me, and best of all, it's felt good ever since.

Turns out she has connections to Cabot. Her brother-in-law lives in Cabot, and she also comes to our neighbor's to work on his sled dogs. Yep, she does natural healing, as she said, "adapted for all species." She works on dogs, cats, horses, whatever. I knew I was going to like her from the minute we met. Anyway, it was a good experience and I left purring contentedly.

Nancy has her own office in West Burke, but has a contract with the Stepping Stone folks. I'll have Fred put her card on the web site on our services page (you'll find it under "other" on the home-page menu). If you want to shed some tension or just pamper yourself, you can call her directly, or call Stepping Stone and ask for Nancy. Here's their web site:
Stepping Stone Spa

No comments:

Update & Request

 Marti Talbot, Carolyn Hamilton's sister-in-law, emailed me this morning to thank everyone who has reached out to Carolyn while she'...