Wednesday, October 14, 2009

From Pam Heffernan today . . .

Great news, Jackson Tanner Lamere arrived on October 12th at 06:12PM,
7 lbs 3 oz and 20 inches long, parents are Jared and Anne Lamere. Jackson is the newest grandson for Pamela Calderwood Heffernan of North Shore Road.
: > )

That's wonderful, Pam - we hope baby Jackson and his mom and dad are all doing well.

Fred went to recycle in Wolcott today. The temperature has hardly moved above 30 degrees all day. It's windy and raw and somehow it seems colder than yesterday when we had snow on the ground. Most of the snow is gone except for a few patches in sheltered spots. I have seen a few snowflakes in the air, but nothing is sticking.

Fred took these pictures along the way. This farmer is harvesting one more crop for fodder. The sky looks pretty stormy, and I imagine some of that grass is a bit crisp with frost.

This turkey looks COLD. Either it's really fat and ready for a Thanksgiving table or the feathers are all puffed up beca
use of the cold. We usually see turkeys under our crab apple tree about now, but I haven't spotted any yet. They like the apples and seem to find lots of food in the grass on our lower lawn. We haven't mowed for several weeks, so it's nice and green and a bit thicker than normal. The deer like it, too, but I haven't seen them around much, either. There may have been tracks in the snow yesterday, but I didn't happen to see any.

This last picture is just two big turkey butts disappearing over the hill out
of sight. I think it's turkey hunting season in some places now, so just as well that they were moving away from the road. I'm not sure where these pictures were taken, but we've seen large flocks of turkeys here and there recently. There was a very large group on the back road going to Peacham Sunday night, and I almost always see some between here and Cabot Village when I go that way. Not too many years ago seeing a wild turkey was a real treat - now they are pretty common.

I was excited yesterday to see that my report of 2.7 inches of snow in Cabot was listed on Sharon Meyer's weather last night. Now I'm wondering if I'll be able to keep up with the snowfall - or want to. I can see myself on snowshoes, climbing over snowbanks to get to my weather station in the back yard. If this winter is anything like last year, it may be hard just getting out there to make the readings. I couldn't put the measuring equipment any place that would be easy to get to because of all the snow blowing that goes on in the driveway and on paths. That could seriously skew the results. We'll see how it goes. In the meantime, it feels more like November than October - it's going to be a long winter, I guess.

No comments:

Update & Request

 Marti Talbot, Carolyn Hamilton's sister-in-law, emailed me this morning to thank everyone who has reached out to Carolyn while she'...