Saturday, October 17, 2009

Cool and sunny here most of the day. We're expecting temps in the 20's and snow possibly tonight. I won't say it's time, because as far as I'm concerned, Thanksgiving would be time enough for snow to fall in earnest. But we'll have to wait and see. It could be we'll still have that Indian Summer I've been hoping for.

I went through some old newspapers today and found an obituary for Don Thurston. He died on October 6 from complications due to Parkinson's Disease, it said. Don was at radio station WIKE in Newport when I worked at the sister station in St. Johnsbury, then WTWN. He was a super nice guy, and his wife, Oralie, was cute and just as nice as he was. I don't remember the years, exactly, but I do remember the great people who were involved with those two fledgling stations, and I smiled thinking back to those days when we were all young and full of gusto.

We bumped into Frank and Joan Hubbard the other day in St. Johnsbury. I hadn't seen them for a long time. Frank was a teacher in the St. Johnsbury school system when I was working in the superintendent's office, and also our neighbor when we lived on Lynwood Terrace. The Hubbards were headed for lunch with the retired teachers group. That was another group that I really enjoyed working with. We had some great get-togethers when all the teachers and the administrative staff would be on hand. That was when Ted Sargent was superintendent.

We got all the windows washed inside and out today. It wasn't the warmest day to do it, but we figured it might be as warm as we'll get before snow flies and I didn't want to live with dirty windows all winter. They look sparkling now, but like Fred said, just wait until the sun shines on those big windows tomorrow - that's when all the streaks show up. No matter how careful we are, there will always be some spots we've missed, but they're surely better than they were, and now the flies and spiders are gone, they should stay pretty good until spring.

I got the clear plastic on the basement windows last week. Now I'll do the window in my office, too. For some reason, even though it's a comparatively new window, it's always let quite a bit of cold in. Last year we put the plastic on the inside, and that worked very well, and this year I sealed joints around it hoping to improve the situation, but just covering the window with the mylar made a big difference. The mylar we got is very heavy and strong, with the channels that we just snap in place that keep it smooth and tight so there's hardly any distortion when looking out. I can live with it easily, and appreciate not feeling a draft as I work here on my computer. Once this window is done, we're secure for the duration, I think. Let it snow.

No comments:

News & Chatter

I was saddened this morning when I read in the Caledonian Record that Archie Prevost passed away. Archie was well known around Joe's P...